Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Calumet

Walz Block

walzblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 416-18 Pine Street, Calumet Built: 1902 Demolished: ca. 1959 Maggie Walz, a Finnish immigrant, was a businesswoman and real estate developer who commissioned this building for herself. Initially a drug store and a candy store occupied the commercial spaces; Walz had her offices in the building and lived upstairs. She owned the building until her death in 1927. Subsequent […]

Continue Reading →

St. John the Baptist Catholic Church

stjohn

by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 7th Street, Calumet Built: 1901 Demolished: 1925 Another building possibly designed by Nystrom was the Catholic church for a Croatian congregation. As described in the newspaper, the church was to be constructed of Jacobsville sandstone with two large towers and three front entrances. As built, however, the church was wood-frame and had only one tower.1 The interior was to have tile mosaic […]

Continue Reading →

Nelson-Schroeder Block

nelsonschroederblock

by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: Corner of Oak and Seventh Street, Calumet Built: 1901 Contractor: Paul P. F. Mueller The Nelson-Schroeder Block houses several shops and apartments. The brick and stone building is named after the owners, Lawrence Nelson and Frank Schroeder. Classical Revival features include the quoining, modillioned cornice, and bull’s-eye windows at the attic level. Storefront entrances are recessed, while doorways to the upper floors […]

Continue Reading →

Blum Building

blumbuilding

by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 400 Block of Pine Street (Highway 203), Calumet Built: 1901 Contractor: Bajari & Ulseth Also known as the Henry Blum building, this attractive three-story building was constructed primarily of brick and stone by contractors Bajari & Ulseth on the north end of Calumet. A contractor named Donahue was responsible for the brick work. Its flat brick facade was trimmed with red sandstone. […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anne’s Church

stannelate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Alternative Name: Keweenaw Heritage Center Location: 5th & Scott streets, Calumet Built: 1899-1901 Contractor: Prendergast & Clarkson Designed in 1899 and completed in 1901, this church was constructed for Calumet’s French Canadian population. Designed in the Gothic Revival style, the church was built of rough-faced Jacobsville sandstone. The most prominent feature is the corner bell […]

Continue Reading →

Edward F. Cuddihy House

Photograph by A. K. Hoagland, 2017

by Alison K. Hoagland. Architect: Charles K. Shand Contractor: Anderson Location: 427 7th St., Calumet Built: 1901 Edward F. Cuddihy had this house built for himself and his bride in 1901.1  By 1910, though, he was a widower with two young sons.  At that time, he lived in this house with sons John, age 7, and Edward F., age 5; Mary Laiken, age 66, who was his aunt and served […]

Continue Reading →

Quello Block

quelloblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Cowles & Eastman Location: East side 300 block of 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1900 Carpentry: Charles A. Anderson; Masonry: P. J. Donohue; Heating and Plumbing: Carlton Hardware Co. Cowles & Eastman designed a $15,000 renovation of the existing building on this site, adding a story and a handsome new front. The three-story building then contained two 22’ by 60’ store spaces on the […]

Continue Reading →

Bollman Block

bollmanblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 800-806 Oak Street, Calumet Built: 19001 Masonry contractor: Paul P. Roehm Destroyed by fire: 1950 Although this business block was initially designed for four separate stores on the first floor, the entire floor was originally occupied by the Lieblein wholesale firm, based in Hancock. In later years, it was home to the Michigan Auto Company. The building was destroyed […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet Opera House and Village Hall Addition

calumetoperahouselate

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Alternative Name: Calumet Theatre Location: 340 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1899-1900 Masonry and excavation: Paul P. Roehm Carpentry: Bajari & Ulseth1 Calumet, located in the heart of the copper mining industry, experienced rapid population growth and built a village hall in 1886, designed by J. B. Sweatt. In 1898 the village decided to add an opera house to the village hall, […]

Continue Reading →

Corgan Block

corganblock

by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 332 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1900 Demolished The three-story brick building, 29’ x 112’, was built in the fall of 1900. Mary Corgan, who also owned property in Copper Harbor, was the owner of this speculatively built commercial block located next to the old firehouse. The building had a pressed-brick front with terra cotta ornament, including “Corinthian pillars” on the second and […]

Continue Reading →