Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Scott

Donald M. Scott

ad

by A. K. Hoagland. Donald M. Scott seems to have been a civil engineer who briefly worked as an architect. Biography Donald M. Scott (1862-?) was born in Scotland and immigrated to the Copper Country as an adult. He advertised in the 1901-02 Polk’s Directory as a “civil engineer and architect” and lived in Laurium with his wife and three children. The Scotts seem to have left the area by 1905, but […]

Continue Reading →

John Scott & Co.

by Ryan Rosinski. From the 1880s to the 1920s, John Scott (1850–1928) was one of Michigan’s premier architects. He worked throughout Michigan, and his most popular buildings were public buildings featuring a Richardsonian Romanesque or Classical Revival style of architecture. Biography John Scott was born in 1850 in Ipswich, England, where he trained to be a professional architect. His younger brother, Arthur, shared his interest, and they both decided to […]

Continue Reading →

Bollman House

bollmanpetermannhouse

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Donald M. Scott Location: 308 Tamarack St., Laurium Built: 1900 Demolished: 1940s Ernest Bollman commissioned this house in Laurium. Bollman was a significant developer of Laurium, platting three additions to the north end of the village between 1894 and 1899. He was president of the State Savings Bank, served a term as village president, and built the Bollman Block in Laurium. After his death in 1905, his […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan Mining School, Hubbell Hall

hubbellhall

by Ryan Rosinski Architect: John Scott & Co. Location: Michigan Tech Campus, Houghton Built: 1889 Contractors: Wahlman & Gipp and I. E. Swift Company Demolished: 1968 Built in 1889, this Romanesque building was the first structure constructed for the Michigan Mining School. Positioned on a slope above Portage Lake, it was built in East Houghton, just a mile from the downtown area.1 The Michigan Mining School was founded in 1885, […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank of Houghton

houghtonnationalbank2

by Ryan Rosinski. Architect: John Scott & Co. Alternative Names: Houghton National Bank, Wells Fargo Bank Location: 600 Shelden Ave., Houghton Built: 1889 Contractor: Wehlman & Gipp This three-story building was built in 1889 with the primary purpose of providing a first-class bank to the people of Houghton and the surrounding areas. The First National Bank of Houghton was founded in 1865 to serve the Houghton area. As the bank […]

Continue Reading →