Hubbard House (Houghton)


by David Daavettila

Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler
Location: 402 E. Fairview, Houghton
Built: ca. 1909

Hubbard House. Photograph by A. K. Hoagland, 2007.

Lucius L. Hubbard had been the state geologist before he was hired to manage Champion Mine in 1899. Hubbard was forced out by 1905, though, and moved to Houghton, from where he presided over the Ojibway Mining Company in Keweenaw County. By 1910 he was living in this house designed for him by Eschweiler.1

The two-story house faced with dark-brown bricks has a cross-gable roof with nested gables in the front. Portions of these gables are half-timbered. The second-floor front façade has an oriel window. The entrance is recessed. At the eaves rafter and purlin ends are carved.

Buildings by Eschweiler in the Copper Country


  1. Drawing 01/793, Wisconsin Architectural Archives, Milwaukee. Polk Directories.