Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Calumet

Lake Superior Produce Co. Warehouse

lsproducelate

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: East side of 6th Street between Pine and Spruce, Calumet Built: 1908 Contractor: Charles A. Anderson When most of the supplies came in by rail, refrigerated warehouses near the railroad tracks were essential. This warehouse was served by a siding from the Copper Range Railroad, whose passenger depot was located just north of the building, and whose freight depot was across […]

Continue Reading →

Croatian Co-operative Store

croatianco-op

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 7th and Elm streets, Calumet Built: 1907 Builder: W. F. Milford1 The Croatian Co-Operative Company formed in about 1906 and built this store building. Officers were William Mihelcich, President; Frank Stepech, Secretary; Matti Drazich, Treasurer; and John Agnich, Manager. They offered general merchandise and claimed to be “The Largest Co-Operative Store in Calumet,” a challenge to the Tamarack Co-op. By 1912, though, the […]

Continue Reading →

Tamarack Co-operative Store

tamarackco-opknhp

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Oak Street, Calumet Built: 1907; Demolished Contractor: L. F. Ursin Hailed as the “largest retail outlet north of Milwaukee,” the Tamarack Co-operative Store was also one of the most successful co-ops in the United States. Supported by mine managers, the store kept retail prices low throughout the Copper Country, allowing managers to keep wages correspondingly low.1 The Co-op was apparently the idea of […]

Continue Reading →

F. M. Kirby & Co. 5¢ and 10¢ Store

kirbylate

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 310 5th St., Calumet Built: 1907 Bartholomew Quello, who owned the three-story building next door, acquired this lot for $5,000—a record price for Calumet real estate at the time. The lot held a frame building occupied by a candy kitchen and a Chinese laundry. Quello had that building torn down and a new building designed for F. M. Kirby & Co., a firm […]

Continue Reading →

Peter E. Ruppe House

ruppehouse

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 803 Pine St., Calumet Built: 1907 Peter Ruppe, who operated a general merchandise store on Fifth Street brought his sons into his firm. The older, Peter E. Ruppe, who commissioned Hessenmueller to design a house for himself at the corner of 8th and Pine, eventually took over the firm.1 With his wife, Mary, Peter lived in this house with children born in 1909 and […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet Manual Training and High School

clk

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: CLK High School Location: U.S. 41, Calumet, MI Built: 1905-07 In 1905, Calumet’s Manual Training and High Schools, which were owned by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company and leased to the school district, burned to the ground. C&H hired Charlton & Kuenzli to design the replacement, in which the two schools were combined. […]

Continue Reading →

Ulseth House

ulsethhouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 416 8th St., Calumet Built: ca. 1906 Edward Ulseth, the noted Calumet builder, had the Maass Brothers design this house and probably built it himself.1 The large house with cross-gabled roof is set on a large lot. The one-story porch wrapping around the front and the Palladian window in the gable are the most distinguishing features. Buildings by Maass, et al., in the Copper […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet State Bank

calumetstatebank

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Oak and 6th Streets, Calumet Built: 1906 Masonry: Paul Roehm Carpentry: Charles Anderson The newly formed Calumet State Bank commissioned this handsome structure in 1906.1 Situated on the corner of Oak and Sixth Streets, the building was designed to complement the Coppo Block adjacent to it on 6th Street. Both are three stories with round-arched windows at the third story. The bank building is faced […]

Continue Reading →

Jacka Block

jackablock

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 5th and Portland streets, Calumet Built: 1905 Masonry: Paul P. Roehm Interior Carpentry: Edward Ulseth Walter Jacka, partner in Jacka and Sullivan Livery, whose stable was located in the rear of this lot, commissioned this building when his previous building on the site was destroyed by fire. The new building was predicted to cost $20,000. Before construction started, the plan was to divide […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan House

michiganhouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 6th and Oak Streets, Calumet Built: 19051 Built for the Bosch Brewing Company, the Michigan House is a roughly square building, four bays by four bays, with two storefronts along Oak Street and a central doorway to upper floors. The corner storefront with a recessed corner entrance was historically occupied by a saloon designed to feature Bosch Brewing Company products, with a […]

Continue Reading →