Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Hancock

Close House

closehouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 107 Center Street, East Hancock Built: 1902 The Close House was built for James Jr. and Katherine Close on Center Street in East Hancock. James was a bookkeeper at First National Bank of Hancock in late 1880s. He was also a part owner of a warehouse called Close and Hodgson which sold building materials as well as wholesale coal and flour.1 The house […]

Continue Reading →

Kerredge Theater

kerredgetheater

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Oscar Cobb Location: Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1902, destroyed by fire 1959 Contractor: Gauthier Brothers The Kerredge Theater was the region’s premier theater, serving not only Hancock, but Houghton and even Michigan Tech as well. Located on Quincy Street just east of the Scott Hotel (built 1906), the theater seated 1,565 (slightly less after motion picture projection equipment was installed). Constructed by Gauthier Bros., the […]

Continue Reading →

John C. Donahue House

donahuehouse

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 308 Cooper St., East Hancock Built: 1900-01 John C. Donahue, a painter, commissioned this house in 1900 at an estimated cost of $6,000. The two-and-a-half-story house had a circular veranda, since removed, across the front, and several bay and oriel windows. The broad hip roof has hip-roofed dormers. The first floor had “a large […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Houses

300blockwrightst

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 413, 409, 405, 401, 331, 327, 325, 317, 313, 309 Wright St., Hancock Built: 1900 Contractors: Parker & Hamill In developing the Quincy Hillside Addition to Hancock, the Quincy Mining Company displaced some residents. To accommodate them, the company built ten houses for sale. Built by contractors Parker and Hamill, the houses were designed in three versions: six basic four-room houses which […]

Continue Reading →

Richard Light House

lighthouselate

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 308 Harris St., East Hancock Built: 1900 Pearce designed this house for Richard and Catherine Light. Richard was a travel agent and commissioner. This house originally had a tower on the west side, which was later replaced by a dormer. The Light family owned this house until 1921 and it is still a private residence.1 This two-and-a-half-story house, now covered in vinyl […]

Continue Reading →

Edwin Henwood House

henwoodhouse

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 209 Center St., East Hancock Built: ca. 1900 If Pearce had any role in the design of this house, he borrowed heavily from Frank P. Allen, who published this design in his 1892 book Artistic Dwellings.  Blueprints of Allen’s design were found in the house in 1986.1  Pearce may have adjusted Allen’s patternbook design, particularly in the kitchen area, for Edwin and Maria […]

Continue Reading →

Emma Jane Pearce House

cooperst

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 312 Cooper St., East Hancock Built: ca 1900 Pearce designed this house for his mother, Emma Jane Pearce, and his siblings.1 After his mother died in 1908, his unmarried sisters, Amy and Rhoda Pearce, inherited the house and continued to live there for the rest of their lives.2 Neither Amy nor Rhoda worked outside the house, so they rented rooms, sometimes to MTU students, […]

Continue Reading →

Suomi College, Old Main

suomicollegelate

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Alternative Name: Finlandia University, Old Main Location: 601 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1900 Contractors: Bajari & Ulseth; William Scott, masonry Suomi Old Main was the first permanent structure to be built for the Suomi Academy, a school that was started by the Finnish Lutheran Church to meet the spiritual and educational need of the local Finnish population. The school has since grown to a […]

Continue Reading →

James R. and Virginia Cooper House

cooperhouse

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 211 (formerly 110) A St., East Hancock Built: 1900 Demolished: 1930s James R. Cooper, head of the Detroit & Lake Superior Smelter Company, also designed Quincy’s new smelter in 1898 and was superintendent from 1898-1906. Apparently, housing was part of that arrangement, because in 1900 Quincy gave him $7,000 to underwrite the cost of his […]

Continue Reading →

Wright Block

wrightblocklate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 100-102 Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1900 Contractor: Prendergast & Clarkson Addition: 1907, H. T. Liebert, Architect: Erik Anderson, contractor Completed in 1900, this building was divided into two, with the east side containing Superior Savings bank and the west being the home of Gartner’s department store. The Classical Revival building is clad in buff […]

Continue Reading →