by David Bandlow
Architect: Carl E. Nystrom
Location: 3rd and Hecla Streets, Laurium
Built: ca. 1901
In an advertisement in the Hancock Evening Journal of December 29, 1901, Nystrom proudly claimed this building, along with the Nelson Schroeder Block, as “examples of our work.” The three-story brick building is rounded at the corner with a modillioned cornice. The first floor is rough-faced Jacobsville sandstone with a smooth-faced cornice. Ionic columns frame each of the three doorways; the columns on the corner are polished granite with sandstone capitals. The second and third floors are united in two-story round arches.