by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak
Architect: Demar & Lovejoy
Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock
Contractor: E. E. Grip & Co.
This building was a two-story store constructed of variegated Jacobsville sandstone. Paired plate-glass windows flanked the round-arched center entrance. Round-arched windows illuminated the second floor. The building had no cornice.
Quincy Mining Company built a store and operated it in 1863-64, but lost money on the venture and sold it to Seth D. North in September 1866. North operated a successful venture for several decades. The store was demolished for construction of the new Quincy office building in 1895, so Quincy built this new store and leased it to North.1
Buildings by Demar & Lovejoy in the Copper Country
- John C. Donahue House 1901
- St. Anne’s Church 1901
- Susan Daniell House 1900
- James R. and Virginia Cooper House 1900
- Wright Block 1900
- Wolverine Copper Company Superintendent’s House 1900
- John Rees House 1899
- Ruppe Block 1899
- Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall 1899
- Vivian House 1898
- Sarah McNear, “Quincy Mining Company: Housing and Community Services, ca. 1860-1930,” HAER No. MI-2 (1979), 552-4. Attribution to architects from Eckert, Sandstone Architecture, 245.