Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: houses of worship

St. Anthony of Padua Convent

stanthonyconvent

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 315 7th St., Calumet Built: 1914-15 Contractor: Leo Kaltenbach The Polish Catholics of Calumet formed a congregation, St. Anthony of Padua, in 1882 and built a small wooden church on lots donated by Calumet & Hecla. In 1892 they enlarged it, adding a tower in the center of the front and an ell in the rear for a school.1 In about 1907 the […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

stjoseph

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: A.F. Wasielewski Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Completed: 1912 Contractor: A. F. Wasielewski Charlton, Gilbert & Demar, with C. Archibald Pearce as Associate Architect, originally designed this building, which would have faced Front Street. Although construction was begun in 1901, lack of funding delayed the process. In 1905 a young priest named Napoleon Joseph Raymond was brought in to serve this French Canadian congregation. He stayed […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

by Katie Torrey Associate Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Built: Begun 1901, not completed until 1912 with a modified design Pearce was listed as associate architect on this building; Charlton, Gilbert & Demar were the architects of record. See main entry and second entry for this building Buildings by Charles Archibald Pearce in the Copper Country

Continue Reading →

Temple Jacob

templejacob

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Front Street, Hancock Built: 1912 Builder: Archie Verville Temple Jacob is the only synagogue in the Copper Country. Before the temple was built the services were held at the houses of different members. Henry Pimstein, Henry Feldman, J. Gottliebson, J. Green, and most notably, Jacob Gartner, decided to establish a Jewish temple.1 The Quincy Mining Company donated the land the temple sits on, but […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

stjosephchurch

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Begun: 1901-02, with C. A. Pearce, associate architect Completed: 1912 with a modified design, A. F. Wasielewski, architect By 1897 the French Canadian congregation of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church had outgrown its 1871 church building, so it decided to build a new stone church at the same location. Charlton, […]

Continue Reading →

Trinity Episcopal Church

trinityepiscopalchurch

by Matt Johnson Architect: John B. Sutcliffe Location: 205 E. Montezuma St., Houghton Built: 1906-10 Addition: Hitch, Inc., 2000 In 1860 a group of local businessmen formed an Anglican parish. They constructed a church in Hancock and named it Trinity Church. The church building was then relocated to Houghton where it served for several decades. By the early 20th century, the congregation had grown considerably and decided to replace its […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anne’s Parsonage

stannesparsonage

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 25719 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1909 A French Canadian congregation built St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church in 1900 at the corner of 5th and Scott streets. In 1909, the congregation replaced the pre-existing parsonage next door on Scott Street with this large brick building.1 Hessenmueller employed a Tudor Revival style, probably in an effort to make it compatible with the Gothic Revival church. The […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church

stjosephchurch

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 8th and Oak Streets, Calumet Alternate Name: St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church Built: 1903-081 Slovenians separated from Sacred Heart Church in Calumet Township to form their own congregation, called St. Joseph’s.  In 1903 they replaced their frame structure built in 1889 with this magnificent Jacobsville sandstone twin-towered church.  The Romanesque Revival style is seen in the round arches of […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (Interior)

stjosephs

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Alternative Name: St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church Interior Location: 8th and Oak Sts., Calumet Completed: 1908 The Slovenian congregation of St. Joseph’s hired Paul Macneil to design the interior of its new structure. Construction had begun on the church in 1903 to the designs of Shand & Eastman, but that firm was no longer functioning by the time the congregation was ready to […]

Continue Reading →

First Baptist Church

firstbaptistchurch

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 26031 Depot St., Calumet Built: 1907-08 The First Baptist congregation, which formed in 1895, built this church on land leased from Calumet & Hecla. The congregation hired architect Paul Macneil in 1907 and dedicated the church in June 1908. Construction cost a little more than $12,000.1 The handsome brick church has a prominent cross-gable roof with arched recesses in the wood-shingled gables. […]

Continue Reading →