Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Pryor

Roehm House

roehmhouse

by Scott Hager Architect: William Pryor Location: 101 Willow Street (corner of First and Boundary), Laurium Built: 1895-96 Paul P. Roehm (1857-1925) was a contractor and coal dealer, but this house exhibits another of his lines of work, and that was masonry. A rare example of a Jacobsville sandstone house, this is a particularly ornate one. The three-story, round corner tower is the most distinguishing feature. A verandah curves around […]

Continue Reading →

William Pryor

by Scott Hager. William Pryor (1869-1899), is the only architect practicing during the boom period who was born in the Copper Country, but his career was cut short by an early death. Biography Pryor was born December 27, 1869.1 After becoming an architect, he resided with his father, James Pryor, on Main Street, which is now College Ave, four houses east of Franklin Avenue, in Houghton, until 1896.2 In 1897 William Pryor […]

Continue Reading →

Grace United Methodist Church

gracemethodistchurch

by Scott Hager. Architect: William Pryor Location: 102 Isle Royale St., Houghton Built: 1892-1893 Rebuilt: 1916-25, C. W. Maass, architect Addition to south: 1991, Thomas Moyle, contractor The first Grace United Methodist Church was built in 1854, brought about by a group of Methodists known as the Portage Lake Class. It was a single-story wood-frame structure with no basement. In the late 1880s and early 1890s the church experienced a […]

Continue Reading →