Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Ottenheimer

Henry Leopold Ottenheimer

ad

by Jeremy Rickli. Even though Henry Leopold Ottenheimer (1868-1919) lived in the Copper Country only briefly, he designed some of the most significant buildings in Houghton. Based in Chicago, he established a Houghton office for about a year. Many of his buildings were used for apartments, hotels, and banks, but he also designed personal homes for some of the most influential people during the copper-mining glory days. He changed the […]

Continue Reading →

Harris House

harrishouse

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: 108 Center Street, Hancock Built: 1909 The Harris House was constructed for Samuel B. Harris and his son, John Harris.1 Cornish-born Samuel Harris was superintendent of the Quincy mine from 1884-1902 and was succeeded, briefly, by his college-educated son, John. The two men shared the house. The building is located on the top of a bluff that overlooks the Portage Canal, and sits […]

Continue Reading →

Leopold Building

leopoldbuildinglate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Shelden Avenue & Huron Street, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The Leopold Building was developed for Nathan Leopold, one of the founders of the South Range State Bank. The newspaper described the building: “The building ranks with the finest business blocks in Houghton or the copper country.” It was occupied by a department store on the Shelden […]

Continue Reading →

South Range Bank

southrangebank

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Alternative Name: Copper Range Historical Museum Location: Champion & Trimountain Streets, South Range Built: 1903 The South Range Bank was founded by a group of men that included Nathan Leopold and Allan Rees, both of whom employed Ottenheimer to design other buildings in the U.P.1 Since 1993, the building has been home to the Copper Range Historical Museum. The bank was designed in the Classical […]

Continue Reading →

Allen Rees House

reeshouse

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: 918 College Avenue, Houghton Built: 1899-1900 Allen Rees, a prominent lawyer, employed Ottenheimer to design his asymmetrical Classical Revival-style house. The two-and-a-half-story house has two-story Ionic columns and a squat two-story corner tower. The broad hip roof extends to cover the portico. Round-arched dormer windows punctuate the roofline. The frame house, covered with clapboards, sits above a Jacobsville sandstone foundation. The house […]

Continue Reading →

Shelden-Dee Block

sheldendeeblocklate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Northwest corner of Shelden Avenue and Isle Royale Street, Houghton Built: 1899-1900 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach Located directly north of the Douglass House, the Shelden-Dee block was commissioned by James R. Dee and Mary Shelden in the late 1890s. The building provided elegant commercial and office space in Houghton’s booming downtown. The building is faced with Portage Entry […]

Continue Reading →

Douglass House

douglasshouselate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Southwest corner of Isle Royale Street and Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1899-1900 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The original Douglass House was built in 1860 out of wood and set back from Shelden Avenue, on Montezuma, with a terraced garden stretching to Shelden. Ottenheimer was asked to design an addition to the Douglass House that would be grand enough […]

Continue Reading →

James R. Dee Block

deeblocklate

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Alternative Name: Post Office Block Location: Southeast corner of Isle Royale Street and Lakeshore Drive, Houghton Built: 1899 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The James R. Dee Block is located in downtown Houghton close to the Shelden-Dee Block and the Douglass House. James R. Dee started the telephone business in the Houghton-Hancock area, and brought electricity to the area through […]

Continue Reading →