Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Calumet

Washington School

washingtonschoolearly

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: John D. Chubb Location: Calumet Ave. and School St., Calumet Built: 1929-301 The previous school on this site burned in a spectacular fire in January 1929. The Central School, built in 1875, had served as a model school building, which included the high school grades until 1898, when a new high school was built next door. After that building was destroyed by fire in 1905, […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anthony of Padua Convent

stanthonyconvent

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 315 7th St., Calumet Built: 1914-15 Contractor: Leo Kaltenbach The Polish Catholics of Calumet formed a congregation, St. Anthony of Padua, in 1882 and built a small wooden church on lots donated by Calumet & Hecla. In 1892 they enlarged it, adding a tower in the center of the front and an ell in the rear for a school.1 In about 1907 the […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet & Hecla Bathhouse

chbathlate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Location: U.S. 41, Calumet Built: 1910-11 The popularity of the bathtubs and showers that Calumet & Hecla had built in the basement of the library necessitated the construction of a bathhouse soon after. The $45,000 building was one story on a raised basement and accommodated bathtubs for women, bathtubs and showers for men, and a 26’ x 40’ […]

Continue Reading →

Tambellini Block

tambellini

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Alternative Name: Luigi’s Location: 508-10 Portland St., Calumet Built: 1909 John Tambellini had this building constructed for his saloon, with apartments above.1 The three-story building is faced with an orange-ish brick, trimmed in a grid pattern with a dark purple brick. There are three entrances on the front: a canted entrance at the alley; a center doorway that provides access to the upper […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anne’s Parsonage

stannesparsonage

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 25719 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1909 A French Canadian congregation built St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church in 1900 at the corner of 5th and Scott streets. In 1909, the congregation replaced the pre-existing parsonage next door on Scott Street with this large brick building.1 Hessenmueller employed a Tudor Revival style, probably in an effort to make it compatible with the Gothic Revival church. The […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church

stjosephchurch

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 8th and Oak Streets, Calumet Alternate Name: St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church Built: 1903-081 Slovenians separated from Sacred Heart Church in Calumet Township to form their own congregation, called St. Joseph’s.  In 1903 they replaced their frame structure built in 1889 with this magnificent Jacobsville sandstone twin-towered church.  The Romanesque Revival style is seen in the round arches of […]

Continue Reading →

Italian Hall

italianhall

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 7th St., Calumet Built: 1908, demolished 1984 The Italian Hall was a two-story building constructed for the Italian Benevolent Society. The first floor had two businesses: Vairo’s saloon and the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. The second floor had a large meeting hall. The Italian Renaissance Revival-style brick building was distinguished by a row of round-arched windows across the façade. The […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (Interior)

stjosephs

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Alternative Name: St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church Interior Location: 8th and Oak Sts., Calumet Completed: 1908 The Slovenian congregation of St. Joseph’s hired Paul Macneil to design the interior of its new structure. Construction had begun on the church in 1903 to the designs of Shand & Eastman, but that firm was no longer functioning by the time the congregation was ready to […]

Continue Reading →

First Baptist Church

firstbaptistchurch

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 26031 Depot St., Calumet Built: 1907-08 The First Baptist congregation, which formed in 1895, built this church on land leased from Calumet & Hecla. The congregation hired architect Paul Macneil in 1907 and dedicated the church in June 1908. Construction cost a little more than $12,000.1 The handsome brick church has a prominent cross-gable roof with arched recesses in the wood-shingled gables. […]

Continue Reading →

Mineral Range Railroad Depot

mrrr_depot

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 9th and Oak streets, Calumet Built: 1908 Contractor: Edward Ulseth1 Masonry: Paul P. Roehm2 The Mineral Range Railroad operated a line from Hancock to Calumet by 1872. In 1891 the railroad was acquired by the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad, tying it into a nationwide network. In 1908 DSS&A officials visited Calumet to commission this new depot. Hessenmueller traveled to […]

Continue Reading →