Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: 1930s

Suomi College, J. K. Nikander Hall


by Landon Helmuth Architect: Eero Saarinen Location: Finlandia Campus, Hancock Built: 1939 J. K. Nikander Hall was the second permanent building on the Suomi College (Finlandia University) campus. It was designed by Eero Saarinen in conjunction with his father, Eliel, and his father’s assistant, J. R. F. Swanson, of Cranbrook Institute. Eliel Saarinen and Swanson also created the layout of a “long range building program” for future construction on the […]

Continue Reading →

Painesdale-Jeffers High School Addition


by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: John D. Chubb Location: 43084 Goodell Street, Painesdale Built: 1934-35 Contractor: Herman Gundlach With funding from the Civil Works Administration, Painesdale school officials more than doubled the size of their high school. The Civil Works Administrator described the $200,000 project: “Two new three-story wings were built onto the old building forming a U shaped building. Between the two wings was constructed a new gymnasium and […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Chemistry Building Addition


by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Derrick Hubert Alternative Name: Michigan Technological University, Koenig Hall Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1931 Contractor: Archie Verville Demolished: 1968 In 1931 the Michigan College of Mines built a large addition onto the front of Koenig Hall, which had been built just ten years earlier. The new front—really a whole new building—had an art moderne appearance, with a flat roof and no cornice. The building had […]

Continue Reading →

Washington School


by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: John D. Chubb Location: Calumet Ave. and School St., Calumet Built: 1929-301 The previous school on this site burned in a spectacular fire in January 1929. The Central School, built in 1875, had served as a model school building, which included the high school grades until 1898, when a new high school was built next door. After that building was destroyed by fire in 1905, […]

Continue Reading →