Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Houghton

Trinity Episcopal Church

trinityepiscopalchurch

by Matt Johnson Architect: John B. Sutcliffe Location: 205 E. Montezuma St., Houghton Built: 1906-10 Addition: Hitch, Inc., 2000 In 1860 a group of local businessmen formed an Anglican parish. They constructed a church in Hancock and named it Trinity Church. The church building was then relocated to Houghton where it served for several decades. By the early 20th century, the congregation had grown considerably and decided to replace its […]

Continue Reading →

Independent Order of Odd Fellows

ioofbuilding

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 109 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 19101 This large brick building has lost its cornice and the third-floor windows have been partially filled in, but its facade still retains its general appearance. At ground level, a large storefront fills most of the space, with a doorway to the upper floors at one side. The second floor has large plate-glass windows, while the third has […]

Continue Reading →

Masonic Temple of Houghton

masonictemple2

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: City Centre Location: 616-618 Sheldon Avenue, Houghton Built: 1910 Contractor: Herman Gundlach1 The four-story building is faced with Jacobsville sandstone. Smooth-faced pilaster-like elements are set off against the rough texture of the rest of the wall. Windows are grouped into threes across the front, except for the center bay, which is only one window wide and has a handsome pedimented doorway at […]

Continue Reading →

Houghton Club

houghtonclub2

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Alternative Name: U.P. Engineers and Architects Corporate Headquarters Location: 100 Portage Street, Houghton Built: 1910 Eschweiler produced drawings for the Houghton Club, formed by businessmen in the Houghton area, in 1906. As originally designed, it had a third story which accommodated a ballroom.1 Apparently the Club had difficulty raising the funds for this, because construction was not begun until 1910, and the building was […]

Continue Reading →

Houghton Public Library

hplearly

by Chase Sturos Architect: Claude & Starck Alternative Name: Portage Lake District Library, Carnegie Cultural Museum Location: 105 Huron St., Houghton Completed: 1910 Contractor: John Michels In 1908, John Doelle, Superintendent of the Portage Township School District, successfully led an effort to establish a public library in Houghton. The Houghton Public Library was constructed using a $15,000 grant provided by steel tycoon Andrew Carnegie, and was operated by the Portage […]

Continue Reading →

Hubbard House (Houghton)

hubbardhouse2

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 402 E. Fairview, Houghton Built: ca. 1909 Lucius L. Hubbard had been the state geologist before he was hired to manage Champion Mine in 1899. Hubbard was forced out by 1905, though, and moved to Houghton, from where he presided over the Ojibway Mining Company in Keweenaw County. By 1910 he was living in this house designed for him by Eschweiler.1 The […]

Continue Reading →

220-224 Shelden

sheldenfront

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: Houghton Built: 1908 This is Liebert’s third business block in the area and is similar to his others, arranged for two stores and apartments above. This building has been changed in many ways. Some of the first-floor sandstone still exists, mostly on the western storefront and the apartment entrance. The second floor has stone pilasters in the Ionic form and more plain-looking […]

Continue Reading →

Dickens House

dickenshouse

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 1017 College Avenue, Houghton Built: 1903-04 This house displays a Colonial Revival style in a four-square form with a tall hip roof. The tall dormer windows are decorated with scroll pediment and pilasters flanking round-arched windows. There are two-story pilasters on the outer corners of the main block and smaller pilasters separating the second-floor windows. The one-story porch across the front is […]

Continue Reading →

Lutey Floral Co. Building

luteybuilding

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 136 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul F. P. Mueller (Herman Gundlach, local superintendent)1 Demolished The Lutey Floral Company designed and built for Albert E. Lutey, the president and treasurer of the company. This building was used as a wholesale and retail florists shop.2 The Lutey Floral building was located on Shelden Avenue between Quincy and Pewabic streets.3 According […]

Continue Reading →

Foley Building and Murphy Building

foleymurphy

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Shand & Eastman Alternative Name: Bergdahl and Briggs Buildings Location: 406-08-10 and 412-14-16 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1902-031 Drawings in the Michigan Tech Archives identify the Foley Building (408 Shelden) as being designed by Shand & Eastman; because the building next door is identical, it can be assumed that Shand & Eastman designed that one too. The client for the Foley Building was […]

Continue Reading →