Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: business

Peter Contralto Block

contraltoblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Cowles & Eastman Location: Corner of Second and Hecla Street, Laurium Built: 1900 As announced in the newspaper, Peter Contralto planned to spend $10,000 on a two-story commercial building. The building would be 50 feet in width and 60 feet in depth. The possible uses for the Contralto Building could be a store, saloon, or offices because of the interior spatial arrangement.1 Cowles & […]

Continue Reading →

Quello Block

quelloblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Cowles & Eastman Location: East side 300 block of 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1900 Carpentry: Charles A. Anderson; Masonry: P. J. Donohue; Heating and Plumbing: Carlton Hardware Co. Cowles & Eastman designed a $15,000 renovation of the existing building on this site, adding a story and a handsome new front. The three-story building then contained two 22’ by 60’ store spaces on the […]

Continue Reading →

Leopold Building

leopoldbuildinglate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Shelden Avenue and Huron Street, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The Leopold Building was developed for Nathan Leopold, one of the founders of the South Range State Bank. The newspaper described the building: “The building ranks with the finest business blocks in Houghton or the copper country.” It was occupied by a department store on the […]

Continue Reading →

South Range Bank

southrangebank

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Alternative Name: Copper Range Historical Museum Location: Corner of Champion and Trimountain streets, South Range Built: 1903 The South Range Bank was founded by a group of men that included Nathan Leopold and Allan Rees, both of whom employed Ottenheimer to design other buildings in the U.P.1 Since 1993, the building has been home to the Copper Range Historical Museum. The bank was designed […]

Continue Reading →

Shelden-Dee Block

sheldendeeblocklate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Northwest corner of Shelden Avenue and Isle Royale Street, Houghton Built: 1899-1900 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach Located directly north of the Douglass House, the Shelden-Dee block was commissioned by James R. Dee and Mary Shelden in the late 1890s. The building provided elegant commercial and office space in Houghton’s booming downtown. The building is faced with Portage Entry […]

Continue Reading →

Douglass House

douglasshouselate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Southwest corner of Isle Royale Street and Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1899-1900 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The original Douglass House was built in 1860 out of wood and set back from Shelden Avenue, on Montezuma, with a terraced garden stretching to Shelden. Ottenheimer was asked to design an addition to the Douglass House that would be grand enough […]

Continue Reading →

James R. Dee Block

deeblocklate

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Alternative Name: Post Office Block Location: Southeast corner of Isle Royale Street and Lakeshore Drive, Houghton Built: 1899 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The James R. Dee Block is located in downtown Houghton close to the Shelden-Dee Block and the Douglass House. James R. Dee started the telephone business in the Houghton-Hancock area, and brought electricity to the area through […]

Continue Reading →

Italian Hall

italianhall

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 7th St., Calumet Built: 1908, demolished 1984 The Italian Hall was a two-story building constructed for the Italian Benevolent Society. The first floor had two businesses: Vairo’s saloon and the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. The second floor had a large meeting hall. The Italian Renaissance Revival-style brick building was distinguished by a row of round-arched windows across the façade. The […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Clubhouse

quincyclubhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock Built: 1916-17 Demolished: 1990s The two-story building for the Quincy Mining Company served as the company’s club house and bathhouse. The brick building was in a modest Italian Renaissance Revival style with keystones over the paired windows and a flat roof with wide eaves and a modillioned cornice. The bathhouse, with separate facilities for men and women, was located […]

Continue Reading →

Independent Order of Odd Fellows

ioofbuilding

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 109 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 19101 This large brick building has lost its cornice and the third-floor windows have been partially filled in, but its facade still retains its general appearance. At ground level, a large storefront fills most of the space, with a doorway to the upper floors at one side. The second floor has large plate-glass windows, while the third has […]

Continue Reading →