Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: business

Lake Superior Produce Co. Warehouse

lsproducelate

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: East side of 6th Street between Pine and Spruce, Calumet Built: 1908 Contractor: Charles A. Anderson When most of the supplies came in by rail, refrigerated warehouses near the railroad tracks were essential. This warehouse was served by a siding from the Copper Range Railroad, whose passenger depot was located just north of the building, and whose freight depot was across […]

Continue Reading →

Croatian Co-operative Store

croatianco-op

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 7th and Elm streets, Calumet Built: 1907 Builder: W. F. Milford1 The Croatian Co-Operative Company formed in about 1906 and built this store building. Officers were William Mihelcich, President; Frank Stepech, Secretary; Matti Drazich, Treasurer; and John Agnich, Manager. They offered general merchandise and claimed to be “The Largest Co-Operative Store in Calumet,” a challenge to the Tamarack Co-op. By 1912, though, the […]

Continue Reading →

Tamarack Co-operative Store

tamarackco-opknhp

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Oak Street, Calumet Built: 1907; Demolished Contractor: L. F. Ursin Hailed as the “largest retail outlet north of Milwaukee,” the Tamarack Co-operative Store was also one of the most successful co-ops in the United States. Supported by mine managers, the store kept retail prices low throughout the Copper Country, allowing managers to keep wages correspondingly low.1 The Co-op was apparently the idea of […]

Continue Reading →

F. M. Kirby & Co. 5¢ and 10¢ Store

kirbylate

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 310 5th St., Calumet Built: 1907 Bartholomew Quello, who owned the three-story building next door, acquired this lot for $5,000—a record price for Calumet real estate at the time. The lot held a frame building occupied by a candy kitchen and a Chinese laundry. Quello had that building torn down and a new building designed for F. M. Kirby & Co., a firm […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank of Laurium

firstnationallaurium

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 301 Hecla St., Laurium Built: 1907 Hessenmueller designed this bank building, originally planned for two stories, with a third story when its backers decided there was a need in Laurium for a large modern hall for lodge meetings. The estimated construction cost was $45,000.1 The three-story building, with brown ironspot brick walls, has elaborate white glazed terra cotta ornament. The corner […]

Continue Reading →

Gennette Block

gennetteblock

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 813-15 Lincoln Drive, corner of Elevation Street, Hancock Built: 1906 S. A. Gennette commissioned this unusual tile-block building in 1906.1 One of Pierce’s last works, he died less than two months before it opened in November 1906. When the building opened Gennette claimed to have prepared the plans and specifications and to have supervised construction, but Pierce’s obituary stated that Pierce had prepared […]

Continue Reading →

MacDonald House

macdonaldexterior

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 305 Tamarack St., Laurium Built: 19061 Norman MacDonald, born in Germany in 1864 to a Scottish father and a Norwegian mother, immigrated as a child to Calumet. His father owned a drugstore at 100 Fifth Street in Calumet. Norman MacDonald took over the business in the late 1890s, living over the store with his wife, Minnie. By 1905, though, MacDonald had retired from […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet State Bank

calumetstatebank

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Oak and 6th Streets, Calumet Built: 1906 Masonry: Paul Roehm Carpentry: Charles Anderson The newly formed Calumet State Bank commissioned this handsome structure in 1906.1 Situated on the corner of Oak and Sixth Streets, the building was designed to complement the Coppo Block adjacent to it on 6th Street. Both are three stories with round-arched windows at the third story. The bank building is faced […]

Continue Reading →

Germania Hall

germaniahall

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: North side Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1906 Destroyed by fire 1966 Contractor: Northern Construction Company Plumbing: E. A. Hamilton Heating: Funkey Bros. Electricity: Charles Kenerson1 The German Aid Society, which claimed to be “the oldest society in copperdom,” was formed in 1859 by forty-men who worked at the Quincy Mining Company. Besides its social function, the organization was also a benevolent society, […]

Continue Reading →

Elks Club

elksclub

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: Southeast corner of Hancock and Reservation streets, Hancock Built: 1906 Demolished: ca. 1950 Hancock’s Elks Club contracted for a two-story brick building with a rounded corner, elaborate cornice, and decorative molding over the second-floor windows. The basement was left unfinished, but was planned to accommodate bowling alleys or gymnasium, as well as the furnace. Commercial storefronts occupied the first floor, providing an […]

Continue Reading →