Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Pearce

Charles Archibald Pearce

ad

by Katie Torrey. Charles Archibald Pearce (1870-1944) lived in the Copper Country for only ten years, from 1893-1903. His most important commission was Suomi College’s (Finlandia University’s) Old Main. He also designed a few buildings in association with other architects as well as some residences. Biography Pearce was born on May 10, 1870, in Maryland.1 His father was Stephen Theodore Pearce, who was a mining superintendent, and his mother was Emma […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

by Katie Torrey Associate Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Built: Begun 1901, not completed until 1912 with a modified design Pearce was listed as associate architect on this building; Charlton, Gilbert & Demar were the architects of record. See main entry and second entry for this building Buildings by Charles Archibald Pearce in the Copper Country

Continue Reading →

First National Bank Building Addition

firstnationalbankadd

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 101-103 Quincy St., Hancock Addition: 1903 The architect for the original building was Byron H. Pierce. This building was enlarged in 1903, when Pearce designed a third floor for the building and an additional 40 feet on the north side of the building. In 1903 it was considered one of the finest buildings in the city of Hancock. This building also housed other […]

Continue Reading →

Hall Building

by Katie Torrey Associate Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Alternative Name: Citizens’ National Bank Location: 320 Shelden Ave, Houghton Built: 1902 Contractor: Herman Gundlach Pearce was listed as an associate on this building; Charlton & Gilbert were the architects of record. See main entry for this building Buildings by Charles Archibald Pearce in the Copper Country

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Houses

300blockwrightst

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 413, 409, 405, 401, 331, 327, 325, 317, 313, 309 Wright St., Hancock Built: 1900 Contractors: Parker & Hamill In developing the Quincy Hillside Addition to Hancock, the Quincy Mining Company displaced some residents. To accommodate them, the company built ten houses for sale. Built by contractors Parker and Hamill, the houses were designed in three versions: six basic four-room houses which […]

Continue Reading →

Richard Light House

lighthouselate

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 308 Harris St., East Hancock Built: 1900 Pearce designed this house for Richard and Catherine Light. Richard was a travel agent and commissioner. This house originally had a tower on the west side, which was later replaced by a dormer. The Light family owned this house until 1921 and it is still a private residence.1 This two-and-a-half-story house, now covered in vinyl […]

Continue Reading →

Edwin Henwood House

henwoodhouse

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 209 Center St., East Hancock Built: ca. 1900 If Pearce had any role in the design of this house, he borrowed heavily from Frank P. Allen, who published this design in his 1892 book Artistic Dwellings.  Blueprints of Allen’s design were found in the house in 1986.1  Pearce may have adjusted Allen’s patternbook design, particularly in the kitchen area, for Edwin and Maria […]

Continue Reading →

Emma Jane Pearce House

cooperst

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 312 Cooper St., East Hancock Built: ca 1900 Pearce designed this house for his mother, Emma Jane Pearce, and his siblings.1 After his mother died in 1908, his unmarried sisters, Amy and Rhoda Pearce, inherited the house and continued to live there for the rest of their lives.2 Neither Amy nor Rhoda worked outside the house, so they rented rooms, sometimes to MTU students, […]

Continue Reading →

Suomi College, Old Main

suomicollegelate

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Alternative Name: Finlandia University, Old Main Location: 601 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1900 Contractors: Bajari & Ulseth; William Scott, masonry Suomi Old Main was the first permanent structure to be built for the Suomi Academy, a school that was started by the Finnish Lutheran Church to meet the spiritual and educational need of the local Finnish population. The school has since grown to a […]

Continue Reading →