Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Laurium

Laurium Village Hall

lauriumvillagehall

by Morgan Davis Architect: Fred Maass Location: Hecla Street, Laurium Remodeled: 1914 Contractor: Chatel & Vairo In 1899 the recently incorporated village of Laurium built a new village hall, a two-story building with false front. Fifteen years later, the village decided on an expansion and remodeling, and hired Fred Maass to prepare the plans. It is the only credit found of his solo work. The bid was awarded to Chatel […]

Continue Reading →

Hoatson House

hoatsonhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: Laurium Manor Inn Location: 320 Tamarack Street, Laurium Built: 1907-08 Interior decoration: Maxwell & Stillman of Milwaukee1 The Hoatson House was designed by the Maass Brothers and built in 1908 for Thomas H. and Cornelia Hoatson, owners of Calumet & Arizona Mining Company. The hip-roofed house has gable dormers and a wraparound porch. Colonial Revival elements include the general symmetry, two-story pedimented […]

Continue Reading →

Briggs School

briggsschoollate

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 346 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1907 The end bays of this large two-story building are pulled forward, giving added presence to this hip-roofed school building. Set on a high sandstone foundation, the building has brick walls in two contrasting colors, as well as sandstone beltcourses at the level of the sills. Most of the walls are windows, though, as every effort was […]

Continue Reading →

Lathrop House

lathrophouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 78 4th Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 J. H. Lathrop, Calumet & Hecla’s chief clerk, commissioned this 47’ x 64’ house in 1906 but did not live to see its completion. The Colonial Revival-style house was two-and-a-half stories tall with a two-story portico. A one-story porch wrapped around the front. Two-story bay windows flanked the portico. The wood-frame house, sided with clapboard, was built […]

Continue Reading →

Milligan House

milliganhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 94 Third Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 Captain James Milligan commissioned the design of this house from the Maass Brothers. Construction was completed in 1907.1 The two-and-a-half story house is in the Classical Revival style. Its high hip roof has hip-roofed dormers and a clerestory. Corner pilasters and a modillioned cornice ornament the blocky structure. Very thin clapboards cover the wood frame; the foundation is […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank of Laurium

firstnationallaurium

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 301 Hecla St., Laurium Built: 1907 Hessenmueller designed this bank building, originally planned for two stories, with a third story when its backers decided there was a need in Laurium for a large modern hall for lodge meetings. The estimated construction cost was $45,000.1 The three-story building, with brown ironspot brick walls, has elaborate white glazed terra cotta ornament. The corner […]

Continue Reading →

Jones House

joneshouse

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 229 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1906 Richard D. Jones, a dentist, had an office in the Herman Building in Calumet, where Paul Macneil also had offices. Apparently, he looked down the hall and hired an architect to design his house. The wood-frame building has a cross-gable roof. The walls of the first floor are sided in clapboard, the upper floors in shingles. […]

Continue Reading →

Sibilski House

sibilskihouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 221 Iroquois St. Laurium Built: ca. 1906 This house was built sometime between 1905 and 1908 for T. Sibilski and family. Copies of undated drawings executed by the Maass Bros. are located in the Keweenaw National Historical Park archives. The asymmetrical house is particularly notable for its arched sandstone entranceway, all the more remarkable because it is attached to a wood-frame house clad in […]

Continue Reading →

MacDonald House

macdonaldexterior

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 305 Tamarack St., Laurium Built: 19061 Norman MacDonald, born in Germany in 1864 to a Scottish father and a Norwegian mother, immigrated as a child to Calumet. His father owned a drugstore at 100 Fifth Street in Calumet. Norman MacDonald took over the business in the late 1890s, living over the store with his wife, Minnie. By 1905, though, MacDonald had retired from […]

Continue Reading →

Charles Maass House

maasshouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 243 Tamarack St., Laurium Built: 1905 Charles Maass bought a small house on this site, enlarged it, and lived in it for several years.1 The front gable with Palladian window and cross gable over a bay window were features repeated in houses he would design over the next few years, such as the Weir and Ulseth houses. Maass’s house has a Jacobsville sandstone […]

Continue Reading →