Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Kuenzli

Charlton & Gilbert; Charlton, Gilbert & Demar; Charlton & Kuenzli; Herbst & Kuenzli

DMG2

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. D. Fred Charlton and his associates had the most significant architectural practice in the Copper Country. Although they kept an office in Hancock for only a few years (listed in the 1899-1900 and 1901-02 directories), from their office in Marquette they were able to obtain most of the important commissions. With Calumet & Hecla Mining Company (two buildings) and Michigan […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Chemistry Building

koenighall2sm

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Herbst & Kuenzli Alternative Name: Koenig Hall Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1920-22 Contractor: Herman Gundlach Addition in 1931: Derrick Hubert, architect; Archie Verville, contractor Demolished: 1968   On March 4, 1920, a fire destroyed Koenig Hall, the chemistry building. A new building was needed quickly and inexpensively due to a large student body and a lack of many other buildings […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet & Hecla Bathhouse

chbathlate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Location: U.S. 41, Calumet Built: 1910-11 The popularity of the bathtubs and showers that Calumet & Hecla had built in the basement of the library necessitated the construction of a bathhouse soon after. The $45,000 building was one story on a raised basement and accommodated bathtubs for women, bathtubs and showers for men, and a 26’ x 40’ […]

Continue Reading →

Ripley School

ripleyschool

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Location: M-26, Franklin Township Built: 19081 This two-story, Jacobsville sandstone school has a Classical Revival appearance. A central pediment is supported by four smooth-faced sandstone pilasters. The cornice has modillions and dentils. Above the doorway are three round-arched windows. The broad hip roof is crowned by a cupola. The sandstone walls are rough-faced, contrasting with the pilasters […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Administration and Library Building

aob

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: Academic Office Building Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1908 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This building was constructed to house the library, administrative offices, and mineral museum. Currently it is the home of the Department of Social Sciences, School of Business and Economics, and the Department of Education. The Classical Revival-style building is clad in a dark […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet Manual Training and High School

clk

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: CLK High School Location: U.S. 41, Calumet, MI Built: 1905-07 In 1905, Calumet’s Manual Training and High Schools, which were owned by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company and leased to the school district, burned to the ground. C&H hired Charlton & Kuenzli to design the replacement, in which the two schools were combined. […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Gymnasium and Clubhouse

rotc

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: ROTC Building Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1904-06 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This building, the oldest remaining on campus, was built as the gymnasium and clubhouse in 1904-06. In 1902, the faculty pledged to donate $1,700 toward the new building and the students raised it to $5,000. When the fund reached $18,500, construction began. The gymnasium […]

Continue Reading →