Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Ripley School

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak.

Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli
Location: M-26, Franklin Township
Built: 19081

ripleyschool

Ripley School. Photograph by A. K. Hoagland, 2007.

This two-story, Jacobsville sandstone school has a Classical Revival appearance. A central pediment is supported by four smooth-faced sandstone pilasters. The cornice has modillions and dentils. Above the doorway are three round-arched windows. The broad hip roof is crowned by a cupola. The sandstone walls are rough-faced, contrasting with the pilasters and central doorway and window surrounds. The large windows have been unfortunately filled in. The building is currently divided into twelve apartments. The original wood flooring, staircase, and some school equipment, such as a wall-length chalkboard and coat hooks, remain in the halls.

Buildings by Charlton, et al., in the Copper Country

Notes

  1. Ripley, Houghton County Michigan: 110th Anniversary (privately printed, 1963). Eckert, Sandstone Architecture, 248, dates this to 1914 and D. F. Charlton, while Brisson, “D. Fred Charlton,” 166, suggests that it may have been built either ca. 1908 or 1914. Further clouding the picture, alert reader Jim Maclean found the following attribution in the Michigan School Board Journal, November 1906: “Archt. E. H. Mead has drawn plans for a school to be erected in district No. 2 Ripley.” For more information on Mead, an architect based in Lansing and Harbor Springs, see The Legacy of Earl H. Mead and Harbor Springs History.

Categories: Building

Tags: , , , ,