Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: 1910s

Trinity Episcopal Church

trinityepiscopalchurch

by Matt Johnson Architect: John B. Sutcliffe Location: 205 E. Montezuma St., Houghton Built: 1906-10 Addition: Hitch, Inc., 2000 In 1860 a group of local businessmen formed an Anglican parish. They constructed a church in Hancock and named it Trinity Church. The church building was then relocated to Houghton where it served for several decades. By the early 20th century, the congregation had grown considerably and decided to replace its […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Clubhouse

quincyclubhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock Built: 1916-17 Demolished: 1990s The two-story building for the Quincy Mining Company served as the company’s club house and bathhouse. The brick building was in a modest Italian Renaissance Revival style with keystones over the paired windows and a flat roof with wide eaves and a modillioned cornice. The bathhouse, with separate facilities for men and women, was located […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anthony of Padua Convent

stanthonyconvent

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 315 7th St., Calumet Built: 1914-15 Contractor: Leo Kaltenbach The Polish Catholics of Calumet formed a congregation, St. Anthony of Padua, in 1882 and built a small wooden church on lots donated by Calumet & Hecla. In 1892 they enlarged it, adding a tower in the center of the front and an ell in the rear for a school.1 In about 1907 the […]

Continue Reading →

Laurium Village Hall

lauriumvillagehall

by Morgan Davis Architect: Fred Maass Location: Hecla Street, Laurium Remodeled: 1914 Contractor: Chatel & Vairo In 1899 the recently incorporated village of Laurium built a new village hall, a two-story building with false front. Fifteen years later, the village decided on an expansion and remodeling, and hired Fred Maass to prepare the plans. It is the only credit found of his solo work. The bid was awarded to Chatel […]

Continue Reading →

Temple Jacob

templejacob

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Front Street, Hancock Built: 1912 Builder: Archie Verville Temple Jacob is the only synagogue in the Copper Country. Before the temple was built the services were held at the houses of different members. Henry Pimstein, Henry Feldman, J. Gottliebson, J. Green, and most notably, Jacob Gartner, decided to establish a Jewish temple.1 The Quincy Mining Company donated the land the temple sits on, but […]

Continue Reading →

Independent Order of Odd Fellows

ioofbuilding

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 109 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 19101 This large brick building has lost its cornice and the third-floor windows have been partially filled in, but its facade still retains its general appearance. At ground level, a large storefront fills most of the space, with a doorway to the upper floors at one side. The second floor has large plate-glass windows, while the third has […]

Continue Reading →

Masonic Temple of Houghton

masonictemple2

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: City Centre Location: 616-618 Sheldon Avenue, Houghton Built: 1910 Contractor: Herman Gundlach1 The four-story building is faced with Jacobsville sandstone. Smooth-faced pilaster-like elements are set off against the rough texture of the rest of the wall. Windows are grouped into threes across the front, except for the center bay, which is only one window wide and has a handsome pedimented doorway at […]

Continue Reading →

Lake Linden High School

lakelindenhs

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: John D. Chubb Location: 601 Calumet St., Lake Linden Built: 1918 When Lake Linden’s parochial school, St. Ann’s Academy, ceased teaching the high-school grades in 1915, the influx of new students into the public school pressured the school board to construct a new building. The three-story masonry building in the Collegiate Gothic style was a substantial improvement over its wood-frame predecessor. The basement, frames around […]

Continue Reading →

Dollar Bay High School

dollarbayhs

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Derrick Hubert Location: 48475 Maple Drive, Dollar Bay Built: 1914-15 Contractor: John J. Michels; F. W. Stoyle, plumbing; Peninsula Heating Co., heating; Edward Nelson Electrical Co. of Green Bay, electrical; Carlton Hardware Co., galvanized iron ventilation system1 Built at a cost of $65,000, the Dollar Bay High School was clad in a buff brick made in Ripley, trimmed with Jacobsville sandstone. The building measured 140’ […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

stjoseph

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: A.F. Wasielewski Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Completed: 1912 Contractor: A. F. Wasielewski Charlton, Gilbert & Demar, with C. Archibald Pearce as Associate Architect, originally designed this building, which would have faced Front Street. Although construction was begun in 1901, lack of funding delayed the process. In 1905 a young priest named Napoleon Joseph Raymond was brought in to serve this French Canadian congregation. He stayed […]

Continue Reading →