Carl E. Nystrom

by David Bandlow. Carl E. Nystrom (1868-1944) was a native of Sweden and worked in the Copper Country for only a brief period around the turn of the century. Nystrom spent most of his career working out of Duluth but designed a few buildings in the Calumet-Laurium area. Biography Nystrom was born in Sweden in… Read more Carl E. Nystrom

Nelson-Schroeder Block


by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: Corner of Oak and Seventh Street, Calumet Built: 1901 Contractor: Paul P. F. Mueller The Nelson-Schroeder Block houses several shops and apartments. The brick and stone building is named after the owners, Lawrence Nelson and Frank Schroeder. Classical Revival features include the quoining, modillioned cornice, and bull’s-eye… Read more Nelson-Schroeder Block

Blum Building


by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 400 Block of Pine Street (Highway 203), Calumet Built: 1901 Contractor: Bajari & Ulseth Also known as the Henry Blum building, this attractive three-story building was constructed primarily of brick and stone by contractors Bajari & Ulseth on the north end of Calumet. A contractor named Donahue… Read more Blum Building

McKenzie House

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 401 Tamarack St., Laurium Built: 1901 Donald McKenzie, a blacksmith, and his wife, Ellen, lived in this house with their son, Angus.  Donald McKenzie, born in Canada, was of Scottish descent.  In 1900 he and Ellen lived in their own house in the next block, at… Read more McKenzie House

State Savings Bank


by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 3rd and Hecla Streets, Laurium Built: ca. 1901 In an advertisement in the Hancock Evening Journal of December 29, 1901, Nystrom proudly claimed this building, along with the Nelson Schroeder Block, as “examples of our work.” The three-story brick building is rounded at the corner with a modillioned cornice.… Read more State Savings Bank

Corgan Block


by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 332 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1900 Demolished The three-story brick building, 29’ x 112’, was built in the fall of 1900. Mary Corgan, who also owned property in Copper Harbor, was the owner of this speculatively built commercial block located next to the old firehouse. The building… Read more Corgan Block