Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Eschweiler

Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler

eschweiler

by David Daavettila. Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler (1865-1940), a major figure in Milwaukee architecture, grew up the Copper Country and through family ties became the architect for the Copper Range Company, among other commissions here. Biography Eschweiler was born in Boston in 1865 to Carl Ferdinand Eschweiler and Hannah Lincoln Chadbourne. His father attended the University of Bonn, in Germany, and became a mining engineer. He moved to the United States […]

Continue Reading →

Houghton Club

houghtonclub2

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Alternative Name: U.P. Engineers and Architects Corporate Headquarters Location: 100 Portage Street, Houghton Built: 1910 Eschweiler produced drawings for the Houghton Club, formed by businessmen in the Houghton area, in 1906. As originally designed, it had a third story which accommodated a ballroom.1 Apparently the Club had difficulty raising the funds for this, because construction was not begun until 1910, and the building was […]

Continue Reading →

Hubbard House (Houghton)

hubbardhouse2

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 402 E. Fairview, Houghton Built: ca. 1909 Lucius L. Hubbard had been the state geologist before he was hired to manage Champion Mine in 1899. Hubbard was forced out by 1905, though, and moved to Houghton, from where he presided over the Ojibway Mining Company in Keweenaw County. By 1910 he was living in this house designed for him by Eschweiler.1 The […]

Continue Reading →

Painesdale High School

painesdalehigh

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Alternative Name: Jeffers High School Location: 43084 Goodell Street, Painesdale Built: 1909 Addition: 1934-35, John D. Chubb, architect This Jacobean Revival building was constructed of rough-cut Jacobsville sandstone. The 140’-long building has a flat roof with shaped parapets on each end of the building. It has a symmetrical façade with five main windows, except the center portion, which has three. The central arched entrance bay […]

Continue Reading →

Champion Copper Company Doctor’s House

doctorshouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 6 Algomah St., Painesdale Built: 1906 This Colonial Revival house has a five-bay front with two-story fluted pilasters at the corners. The 44’-10” x 32’ building is two stories with a side-gable roof. A one-story, three-bay porch centered on the front has recently been reconstructed. The wood-frame house was sided with clapboards. The center door entered into a wide center hall, with […]

Continue Reading →

H.S. Goodell House

goodellhouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: Hubbard Avenue, Painesdale Built: 1903 This one-and-a-half-story wood-shingled bungalow stands next to the Hubbard House among management housing in Painesdale. H. Stuart Goodell ran the South Range Mercantile Company and was apparently not an employee of the mining company. He was married to Charlotte, Lucius Hubbard’s daughter. The broad side-gable roof extended to cover a porch across the front and had a […]

Continue Reading →

Hubbard House

hubbardhouseearly

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 31 Hubbard Avenue, Painesdale Built: 1903 One of most elaborate houses in Painesdale was built in 1903 for Dr. Lucius L. Hubbard, the general manager of the Champion Mining Company, who lived here for only about two years. A subsequent general manager, William Schacht, occupied the house for many years. The rectangular building has a symmetrical front façade, a blend of Classical […]

Continue Reading →

Sarah Sargent Paine Memorial Library

painelibrary

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: Goodell Street, next to High School, Painesdale Built: 1902-1903 Contractor: Prendergast & Clarkson1 Demolished: 1965 The Sarah Sargent Paine Memorial Library, dedicated to the mother of William Paine, the president of Copper Range Consolidated Company, was many things for the community, accommodating meetings, classes, theater shows and church services. The 86’ x 37’-6” building was constructed in 1902-1903 and served the Painesdale […]

Continue Reading →

Close House

closehouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 107 Center Street, East Hancock Built: 1902 The Close House was built for James Jr. and Katherine Close on Center Street in East Hancock. James was a bookkeeper at First National Bank of Hancock in late 1880s. He was also a part owner of a warehouse called Close and Hodgson which sold building materials as well as wholesale coal and flour.1 The house […]

Continue Reading →