Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: 1880s

Michigan Mining School, Hubbell Hall

hubbellhall

by Ryan Rosinski Architect: John Scott & Co. Location: Michigan Tech Campus, Houghton Built: 1889 Contractors: Wahlman & Gipp and I. E. Swift Company Demolished: 1968 Built in 1889, this Romanesque building was the first structure constructed for the Michigan Mining School. Positioned on a slope above Portage Lake, it was built in East Houghton, just a mile from the downtown area.1 The Michigan Mining School was founded in 1885, […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank of Houghton

houghtonnationalbank2

by Ryan Rosinski. Architect: John Scott & Co. Alternative Names: Houghton National Bank, Wells Fargo Bank Location: 600 Shelden Ave., Houghton Built: 1889 Contractor: Wehlman & Gipp This three-story building was built in 1889 with the primary purpose of providing a first-class bank to the people of Houghton and the surrounding areas. The First National Bank of Houghton was founded in 1865 to serve the Houghton area. As the bank […]

Continue Reading →

Union Building

unionbuildingdetail

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: Fifth St. and Red Jacket Rd., Calumet Built: 1888 The Union Building Association commissioned this building to accommodate the Free & Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as more than twenty other fraternal groups. The Association leased the land from Calumet & Hecla and rented the storefronts to commercial enterprises, such as the Merchant’s and Miner’s […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank Building

firstnationalbankad

by Brandon M. Herman. Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 101-103 Qunicy St., Hancock Built: 1888 Addition to top and north: 1903, Charles Archibald Pearce This building was constructed in 1888 under the supervision of Pierce, who designed a two-story structure which was expanded in 1903 according to designs by Charles Archibald Pearce to provide a third floor. It was located on the main street in Hancock, and many companies held office space […]

Continue Reading →

Houghton County Courthouse

houghtoncountycourthouse

by Bradley Plummer Architect: John B. Sweatt Location: 401 E. Houghton Ave., Houghton Built: 1886-1887 As one of the more distinctive courthouses built in late 19th-century Michigan, the Houghton County Courthouse reflects the prosperity brought to the area at the time due to the copper boom. The polychromatic, 2 ½-story building was influenced by the Second Empire, Ruskinian Gothic, and Italianate styles.1 The courthouse was built at a cost of $75,568 […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet & Hecla General Office Building

chgeneral

by Adam Gaugh. Architect: Shaw & Hunnewell Location: 25970 Red Jacket Road, Calumet Built: 1887 Addition on north: 1900 Addition on east: 1909, Charlton & Kuenzli Fronting Red Jacket Road at the intersection of Calumet Ave., the two-and-one-half story C&H General Office Building was built by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, the largest U.S. producer of copper during the 1870s. Company operations were directed from this building, which also […]

Continue Reading →

Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Residence and Jail

jail

by Bradley Plummer Architect: John B. Sweatt Location: 4th Street, Eagle River Built: 1886 Modified: 1925 This structure was designed by Sweatt, though its appearance has since changed. Originally it was a two-and-one-half-story rectangular structure with clapboard walls and a steep-pitch, hip-roof. The rear of the structure, the jail, was constructed of coursed rubble stone. Early photographs also show an open porch across the front of the Sheriff’s Residence. The […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank

firstnationalbank

by Bradley Plummer. Architect: John B. Sweatt Location: 5th street, Calumet Built: 1886 Demolished The First National Bank of Calumet was designed and built by J. B. Sweatt in 1886. The two-story, six-bay building originally measured 34’ x 57’. The front façade was of variegated sandstone, which was obtained from Portage Entry quarries and was laid in broken ashlar with a rock face, and the side walls were brick.1 The first-floor […]

Continue Reading →

Red Jacket Village Hall

redjacketvillagehall

by Bradley Plummer Architect: John B. Sweatt Alternative Name: Calumet Opera House and Village Hall Location: 340 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1885-1886 Contractor: Jesse Butler Altered: 1900, Charles K. Shand, architect The Red Jacket Village Hall was originally designed in 1885 by Sweatt and built for $14,272 in 1886. The land was leased to the village by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company. The two-story, brick and brown Marquette sandstone […]

Continue Reading →

Northwestern Hotel

northwesternhotel

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 211-213 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1886 Demolished: 1995 The Northwestern Hotel, the first high-class hotel in Hancock, had 50 rooms with electric lighting and bathrooms with hot and cold water. The hotel was four stories tall, the tallest building in Hancock. The brick building had sandstone trim and a large pressed metal cornice. The façade was seven bays wide with balconies […]

Continue Reading →