Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Pierce

Byron H. Pierce

by Brandon M. Herman. As the first architect in the Copper Country, Byron H. Pierce (1857-1906) designed some of the major brick buildings. Biography Pierce was the first architect to set up shop in the Copper Country, appearing in the first city directory in 1887, where he was noted as “a resident since 1885.”1 Born in Waupon, Wisconsin, he moved to Marquette in 1883 and worked in as a carpenter and […]

Continue Reading →

Gennette Block

gennetteblock

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 813-15 Lincoln Drive, corner of Elevation Street, Hancock Built: 1906 S. A. Gennette commissioned this unusual tile-block building in 1906.1 One of Pierce’s last works, he died less than two months before it opened in November 1906. When the building opened Gennette claimed to have prepared the plans and specifications and to have supervised construction, but Pierce’s obituary stated that Pierce had prepared […]

Continue Reading →

Union Building

unionbuildingdetail

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: Fifth St. and Red Jacket Rd., Calumet Built: 1888 The Union Building Association commissioned this building to accommodate the Free & Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as more than twenty other fraternal groups. The Association leased the land from Calumet & Hecla and rented the storefronts to commercial enterprises, such as the Merchant’s and Miner’s […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank Building

firstnationalbankad

by Brandon M. Herman. Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 101-103 Qunicy St., Hancock Built: 1888 Addition to top and north: 1903, Charles Archibald Pearce This building was constructed in 1888 under the supervision of Pierce, who designed a two-story structure which was expanded in 1903 according to designs by Charles Archibald Pearce to provide a third floor. It was located on the main street in Hancock, and many companies held office space […]

Continue Reading →

Northwestern Hotel

northwesternhotel

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 211-213 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1886 Demolished: 1995 The Northwestern Hotel, the first high-class hotel in Hancock, had 50 rooms with electric lighting and bathrooms with hot and cold water. The hotel was four stories tall, the tallest building in Hancock. The brick building had sandstone trim and a large pressed metal cornice. The façade was seven bays wide with balconies […]

Continue Reading →