Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: 1900s

Peter Contralto Block

contraltoblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Cowles & Eastman Location: Corner of Second and Hecla Street, Laurium Built: 1900 As announced in the newspaper, Peter Contralto planned to spend $10,000 on a two-story commercial building. The building would be 50 feet in width and 60 feet in depth. The possible uses for the Contralto Building could be a store, saloon, or offices because of the interior spatial arrangement.1 Cowles & […]

Continue Reading →

Quello Block

quelloblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Cowles & Eastman Location: East side 300 block of 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1900 Carpentry: Charles A. Anderson; Masonry: P. J. Donohue; Heating and Plumbing: Carlton Hardware Co. Cowles & Eastman designed a $15,000 renovation of the existing building on this site, adding a story and a handsome new front. The three-story building then contained two 22’ by 60’ store spaces on the […]

Continue Reading →

Harris House

harrishouse

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: 108 Center Street, Hancock Built: 1909 The Harris House was constructed for Samuel B. Harris and his son, John Harris.1 Cornish-born Samuel Harris was superintendent of the Quincy mine from 1884-1902 and was succeeded, briefly, by his college-educated son, John. The two men shared the house. The building is located on the top of a bluff that overlooks the Portage Canal, and sits […]

Continue Reading →

Leopold Building

leopoldbuildinglate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Shelden Avenue and Huron Street, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The Leopold Building was developed for Nathan Leopold, one of the founders of the South Range State Bank. The newspaper described the building: “The building ranks with the finest business blocks in Houghton or the copper country.” It was occupied by a department store on the […]

Continue Reading →

South Range Bank

southrangebank

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Alternative Name: Copper Range Historical Museum Location: Corner of Champion and Trimountain streets, South Range Built: 1903 The South Range Bank was founded by a group of men that included Nathan Leopold and Allan Rees, both of whom employed Ottenheimer to design other buildings in the U.P.1 Since 1993, the building has been home to the Copper Range Historical Museum. The bank was designed […]

Continue Reading →

Shelden-Dee Block

sheldendeeblocklate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Northwest corner of Shelden Avenue and Isle Royale Street, Houghton Built: 1899-1900 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach Located directly north of the Douglass House, the Shelden-Dee block was commissioned by James R. Dee and Mary Shelden in the late 1890s. The building provided elegant commercial and office space in Houghton’s booming downtown. The building is faced with Portage Entry […]

Continue Reading →

Douglass House

douglasshouselate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Southwest corner of Isle Royale Street and Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1899-1900 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The original Douglass House was built in 1860 out of wood and set back from Shelden Avenue, on Montezuma, with a terraced garden stretching to Shelden. Ottenheimer was asked to design an addition to the Douglass House that would be grand enough […]

Continue Reading →

Italian Hall

italianhall

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 7th St., Calumet Built: 1908, demolished 1984 The Italian Hall was a two-story building constructed for the Italian Benevolent Society. The first floor had two businesses: Vairo’s saloon and the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. The second floor had a large meeting hall. The Italian Renaissance Revival-style brick building was distinguished by a row of round-arched windows across the façade. The […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church Interior

stjosephs

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Alternative Name: St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church Interior Location: 8th and Oak Sts., Calumet Completed: 1908 The Slovenian congregation of St. Joseph’s hired Paul Macneil to design the interior of its new structure. Construction had begun on the church in 1903 to the designs of Shand & Eastman, but that firm was no longer functioning by the time the congregation was ready to […]

Continue Reading →

First Baptist Church

firstbaptistchurch

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 26031 Depot St., Calumet Built: 1907-08 The First Baptist congregation, which formed in 1895, built this church on land leased from Calumet & Hecla. The congregation hired architect Paul Macneil in 1907 and dedicated the church in June 1908. Construction cost a little more than $12,000.1 The handsome brick church has a prominent cross-gable roof with arched recesses in the wood-shingled gables. […]

Continue Reading →