Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: 1900s

First Baptist Church

firstbaptistchurch

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 26031 Depot St., Calumet Built: 1907-08 The First Baptist congregation, which formed in 1895, built this church on land leased from Calumet & Hecla. The congregation hired architect Paul Macneil in 1907 and dedicated the church in June 1908. Construction cost a little more than $12,000.1 The handsome brick church has a prominent cross-gable roof with arched recesses in the wood-shingled gables. […]

Continue Reading →

Hoatson House

hoatsonhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: Laurium Manor Inn Location: 320 Tamarack Street, Laurium Built: 1907-08 Interior decoration: Maxwell & Stillman of Milwaukee1 The Hoatson House was designed by the Maass Brothers and built in 1908 for Thomas H. and Cornelia Hoatson, owners of Calumet & Arizona Mining Company. The hip-roofed house has gable dormers and a wraparound porch. Colonial Revival elements include the general symmetry, two-story pedimented […]

Continue Reading →

220-224 Shelden

sheldenfront

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: Houghton Built: 1908 This is Liebert’s third business block in the area and is similar to his others, arranged for two stores and apartments above. This building has been changed in many ways. Some of the first-floor sandstone still exists, mostly on the western storefront and the apartment entrance. The second floor has stone pilasters in the Ionic form and more plain-looking […]

Continue Reading →

Mineral Range Railroad Depot

mrrr_depot

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: 9th and Oak streets, Calumet Built: 1908 Contractor: Edward Ulseth1 Masonry: Paul P. Roehm2 The Mineral Range Railroad operated a line from Hancock to Calumet by 1872. In 1891 the railroad was acquired by the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad, tying it into a nationwide network. In 1908 DSS&A officials visited Calumet to commission this new depot. Hessenmueller traveled to […]

Continue Reading →

Lake Superior Produce Co. Warehouse

lsproducelate

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Frank W. Hessenmueller Location: East side of 6th Street between Pine and Spruce, Calumet Built: 1908 Contractor: Charles A. Anderson When most of the supplies came in by rail, refrigerated warehouses near the railroad tracks were essential. This warehouse was served by a siding from the Copper Range Railroad, whose passenger depot was located just north of the building, and whose freight depot was across […]

Continue Reading →

Ripley School

ripleyschool

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Location: M-26, Franklin Township Built: 19081 This two-story, Jacobsville sandstone school has a Classical Revival appearance. A central pediment is supported by four smooth-faced sandstone pilasters. The cornice has modillions and dentils. Above the doorway are three round-arched windows. The broad hip roof is crowned by a cupola. The sandstone walls are rough-faced, contrasting with the pilasters […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Administration and Library Building

aob

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: Academic Office Building Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1908 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This building was constructed to house the library, administrative offices, and mineral museum. Currently it is the home of the Department of Social Sciences, School of Business and Economics, and the Department of Education. The Classical Revival-style building is clad in a dark […]

Continue Reading →

Briggs School

briggsschoollate

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 346 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1907 The end bays of this large two-story building are pulled forward, giving added presence to this hip-roofed school building. Set on a high sandstone foundation, the building has brick walls in two contrasting colors, as well as sandstone beltcourses at the level of the sills. Most of the walls are windows, though, as every effort was […]

Continue Reading →

Lathrop House

lathrophouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 78 4th Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 J. H. Lathrop, Calumet & Hecla’s chief clerk, commissioned this 47’ x 64’ house in 1906 but did not live to see its completion. The Colonial Revival-style house was two-and-a-half stories tall with a two-story portico. A one-story porch wrapped around the front. Two-story bay windows flanked the portico. The wood-frame house, sided with clapboard, was built […]

Continue Reading →

Milligan House

milliganhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 94 Third Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 Captain James Milligan commissioned the design of this house from the Maass Brothers. Construction was completed in 1907.1 The two-and-a-half story house is in the Classical Revival style. Its high hip roof has hip-roofed dormers and a clerestory. Corner pilasters and a modillioned cornice ornament the blocky structure. Very thin clapboards cover the wood frame; the foundation is […]

Continue Reading →