Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: map?

Ahmeek Mine Office

ahmeekmineoffice

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: Ahmeek Location Built: 1908 Calumet & Hecla Mining Company began to develop the Ahmeek Mine in 1907 and commissioned this building from Paul Macneil the following year. The office is located between the residential area in Ahmeek Location and the mine shaft. The brick building with sandstone trim is the only masonry building in the area. It is one-and-a-half stories tall with […]

Continue Reading →

Champion Copper Company Doctor’s House

doctorshouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 6 Algomah St., Painesdale Built: 1906 This Colonial Revival house has a five-bay front with two-story fluted pilasters at the corners. The 44’-10” x 32’ building is two stories with a side-gable roof. A one-story, three-bay porch centered on the front has recently been reconstructed. The wood-frame house was sided with clapboards. The center door entered into a wide center hall, with […]

Continue Reading →

Lutey Floral Co. Building

luteybuilding

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 136 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul F. P. Mueller (Herman Gundlach, local superintendent)1 Demolished The Lutey Floral Company designed and built for Albert E. Lutey, the president and treasurer of the company. This building was used as a wholesale and retail florists shop.2 The Lutey Floral building was located on Shelden Avenue between Quincy and Pewabic streets.3 According […]

Continue Reading →

H.S. Goodell House

goodellhouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: Hubbard Avenue, Painesdale Built: 1903 This one-and-a-half-story wood-shingled bungalow stands next to the Hubbard House among management housing in Painesdale. H. Stuart Goodell ran the South Range Mercantile Company and was apparently not an employee of the mining company. He was married to Charlotte, Lucius Hubbard’s daughter. The broad side-gable roof extended to cover a porch across the front and had a […]

Continue Reading →

Hubbard House

hubbardhouseearly

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 31 Hubbard Avenue, Painesdale Built: 1903 One of most elaborate houses in Painesdale was built in 1903 for Dr. Lucius L. Hubbard, the general manager of the Champion Mining Company, who lived here for only about two years. A subsequent general manager, William Schacht, occupied the house for many years. The rectangular building has a symmetrical front façade, a blend of Classical […]

Continue Reading →

Walz Block

walzblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 416-18 Pine Street, Calumet Built: 1902 Demolished: ca. 1959 Maggie Walz, a Finnish immigrant, was a businesswoman and real estate developer who commissioned this building for herself. Initially a drug store and a candy store occupied the commercial spaces; Walz had her offices in the building and lived upstairs. She owned the building until her death in 1927. Subsequent […]

Continue Reading →

St. John the Baptist Catholic Church

stjohn

by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 7th Street, Calumet Built: 1901 Demolished: 1925 Another building possibly designed by Nystrom was the Catholic church for a Croatian congregation. As described in the newspaper, the church was to be constructed of Jacobsville sandstone with two large towers and three front entrances. As built, however, the church was wood-frame and had only one tower.1 The interior was to have tile mosaic […]

Continue Reading →

Tamarack Hospital

tamarackhospital

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: Beach at 3rd Street, Tamarack Location Built: 1900 Demolished The Tamarack Hospital was hailed as a “model hospital” when it was constructed, although in appearance it resembled a Queen Anne Revival mansion.1 The walls of the 60-foot-square two-and-a-half-story building were sandstone on the first floor and frame above, sided with narrow clapboards. The gable roof was punctured by symmetrical three-story […]

Continue Reading →

Corgan Block

corganblock

by David Bandlow Architect: Carl E. Nystrom Location: 332 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1900 Demolished The three-story brick building, 29’ x 112’, was built in the fall of 1900. Mary Corgan, who also owned property in Copper Harbor, was the owner of this speculatively built commercial block located next to the old firehouse. The building had a pressed-brick front with terra cotta ornament, including “Corinthian pillars” on the second and […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank

firstnationalbank

by Bradley Plummer. Architect: John B. Sweatt Location: 5th street, Calumet Built: 1886 Demolished The First National Bank of Calumet was designed and built by J. B. Sweatt in 1886. The two-story, six-bay building originally measured 34’ x 57’. The front façade was of variegated sandstone, which was obtained from Portage Entry quarries and was laid in broken ashlar with a rock face, and the side walls were brick.1 The first-floor […]

Continue Reading →