Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Demar

Charlton & Gilbert (et seq.)

DMG2

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. D. Fred Charlton and his associates had the most significant architectural practice in the Copper Country. Although they kept an office in Hancock for only a few years (listed in the 1899-1900 and 1901-02 directories), from their office in Marquette they were able to obtain most of the important commissions. With Calumet & Hecla Mining Company (two buildings) and Michigan […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

stjosephchurch

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Begun: 1901-02, with C. A. Pearce, associate architect Completed: 1912 with a modified design, A. F. Wasielewski, architect By 1897 the French Canadian congregation of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church had outgrown its 1871 church building, so it decided to build a new stone church at the same location. Charlton, […]

Continue Reading →

John C. Donahue House

donahuehouse

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 308 Cooper St., East Hancock Built: 1900-01 John C. Donahue, a painter, commissioned this house in 1900 at an estimated cost of $6,000. The two-and-a-half-story house had a circular veranda, since removed, across the front, and several bay and oriel windows. The broad hip roof has hip-roofed dormers. The first floor had “a large […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anne’s Church

stannelate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Alternative Name: Keweenaw Heritage Center Location: 5th & Scott streets, Calumet Built: 1899-1901 Contractor: Prendergast & Clarkson Designed in 1899 and completed in 1901, this church was constructed for Calumet’s French Canadian population. Designed in the Gothic Revival style, the church was built of rough-faced Jacobsville sandstone. The most prominent feature is the corner bell […]

Continue Reading →

Susan Daniell House

susandamiellhouseearly

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 308 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1900 This grand house was built for Susan Daniell, widow of mine captain John Daniell.  Susan Edwards, born in England in 1849, immigrated to the Copper Country as a child.  She married John Daniell in 1869.  They lived at Copper Falls until 1876, when Daniell became head of the […]

Continue Reading →

James R. and Virginia Cooper House

cooperhouse

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 211 (formerly 110) A St., East Hancock Built: 1900 Demolished: 1930s James R. Cooper, head of the Detroit & Lake Superior Smelter Company, also designed Quincy’s new smelter in 1898 and was superintendent from 1898-1906. Apparently, housing was part of that arrangement, because in 1900 Quincy gave him $7,000 to underwrite the cost of his […]

Continue Reading →

Wright Block

wrightblocklate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 100-102 Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1900 Contractor: Prendergast & Clarkson Addition: 1907, H. T. Liebert, Architect: Erik Anderson, contractor Completed in 1900, this building was divided into two, with the east side containing Superior Savings bank and the west being the home of Gartner’s department store. The Classical Revival building is clad in buff […]

Continue Reading →

Wolverine Copper Company Superintendent’s House

wolverinehouse

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: U.S. 41, Wolverine Built: 1899-1900 The Wolverine Copper Company was established in 1882. In 1898 John Stanton established Mohawk Mining Company five miles to the north and also gained control of the Wolverine. Fred Smith had been superintendent of the Wolverine since about 1892 and, when he was also assigned to supervise the Mohawk, […]

Continue Reading →

John Rees House

johnreeshouse

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 1019 College Ave., Houghton Built: 1899 Builder: H. Ferge of Milwaukee Painting and Decorating: Hamilton & Eade of Duluth John L. Rees, assistant cashier at the National Bank of Houghton, commissioned this two-and-a-half-story building with shingle-clad walls and a porch across the front. A slightly projecting two-story bay window on the front, and a […]

Continue Reading →

Ruppe Block

ruppeblocklate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: Fifth Street, Calumet New façade: 1899 Contractor: Bajari & Ulseth P. Ruppe & Son undertook $12,000 worth of renovations to a two-story frame building to produce this handsome commercial block for their store. As reported in the newspaper, “An entire new front of pressed brick and terra cotta from foundation to roof has been […]

Continue Reading →