Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: municipal

Houghton County Courthouse

houghtoncountycourthouse

by Bradley Plummer Architect: John B. Sweatt Location: 401 E. Houghton Ave., Houghton Built: 1886-1887 As one of the more distinctive courthouses built in late 19th-century Michigan, the Houghton County Courthouse reflects the prosperity brought to the area at the time due to the copper boom. The polychromatic, 2 ½-story building was influenced by the Second Empire, Ruskinian Gothic, and Italianate styles.1 The courthouse was built at a cost of $75,568 […]

Continue Reading →

Red Jacket Village Hall

redjacketvillagehall

by Bradley Plummer Architect: John B. Sweatt Alternative Name: Calumet Opera House and Village Hall Location: 340 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1885-1886 Contractor: Jesse Butler Altered: 1900, Charles K. Shand, architect The Red Jacket Village Hall was originally designed in 1885 by Sweatt and built for $14,272 in 1886. The land was leased to the village by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company. The two-story, brick and brown Marquette sandstone […]

Continue Reading →

Laurium Village Hall

lauriumvillagehall

by Morgan Davis Architect: Fred Maass Location: Hecla Street, Laurium Remodeled: 1914 Contractor: Chatel & Vairo In 1899 the recently incorporated village of Laurium built a new village hall, a two-story building with false front. Fifteen years later, the village decided on an expansion and remodeling, and hired Fred Maass to prepare the plans. It is the only credit found of his solo work. The bid was awarded to Chatel […]

Continue Reading →

Masonic Temple of Houghton

masonictemple2

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: City Centre Location: 616-618 Sheldon Avenue, Houghton Built: 1910 Contractor: Herman Gundlach1 The four-story building is faced with Jacobsville sandstone. Smooth-faced pilaster-like elements are set off against the rough texture of the rest of the wall. Windows are grouped into threes across the front, except for the center bay, which is only one window wide and has a handsome pedimented doorway at […]

Continue Reading →

Houghton Public Library

hplearly

by Chase Sturos Architect: Claude & Starck Alternative Name: Portage Lake District Library, Carnegie Cultural Museum Location: 105 Huron St., Houghton Completed: 1910 Contractor: John Michels In 1908, John Doelle, Superintendent of the Portage Township School District, successfully led an effort to establish a public library in Houghton. The Houghton Public Library was constructed using a $15,000 grant provided by steel tycoon Andrew Carnegie, and was operated by the Portage […]

Continue Reading →

Lake Linden Village Hall

lakelindenvillagehalllate

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 401 Calumet Street, Lake Linden Built: 1901-1902 Contractor: L.F. Ursin In 1887, a fire came close to destroying the village of Lake Linden, approximately 40 acres, and the business district was greatly affected. As part of the rebuilding, the Village Council decided to build a new village hall and fire station for $15,000. After Shand was awarded the contract […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet Opera House and Village Hall Addition

calumetoperahouselate

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Alternative Name: Calumet Theatre Location: 340 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1899-1900 Masonry and excavation: Paul P. Roehm Carpentry: Bajari & Ulseth1 Calumet, located in the heart of the copper mining industry, experienced rapid population growth and built a village hall in 1886, designed by J. B. Sweatt. In 1898 the village decided to add an opera house to the village hall, […]

Continue Reading →

Red Jacket Village Fire Hall

redjacketfirehall

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 325 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1898-99 Carpentry: Bajari & Ulseth Masonry: Procissi & Company After a brush fire in 1870 destroyed approximately two-thirds of the Village of Red Jacket, the first fire department was created in 1875. In 1887 the village paid the fire-fighting force, rather than rely on volunteers. Shand was hired at the end of the century […]

Continue Reading →

Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall

hthearly

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Alternative Name: Hancock City Hall Location: 399 Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1898-99 Contractor: E. E. Grip & Co. of Ishpeming Interior Painting: Associated Artists of Milwaukee In February 1898, three architectural firms submitted plans for this commission: William T. Pryor, C. Archibald Pearce, and Charlton, Gilbert & Demar. The latter firm was selected, and the building was […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet Public Library

calumetpubliclibrary

by Adam Gaugh. Architect: Shaw & Hunnewell Location: Red Jacket Road and Mine St., Calumet Built: 1897-98 This striking stone building with its façade of contrasting red and gray mine rock was the Calumet Public Library. The library was built in 1897-98 for public use. When the library opened, the Copper Country Evening Newscommented that “no mining company in the world treats its employees better than the Calumet & Hecla. It […]

Continue Reading →