Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Shand

Charles K. Shand (et seq.)

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Charles K. Shand (?–1945) worked in the Copper Country for fewer than ten years and designed many important buildings in the area. Most of these buildings were civic, such as the Calumet Opera House, Red Jacket Fire Station and the Lake Linden Village Hall. He partnered briefly with George D. Eastman, who had briefly been in partnership with Clarence L. Cowles. Biography Charles K. […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church

stjosephchurch

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 8th and Oak Streets, Calumet Alternate Name: St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church Built: 1903-081 Slovenians separated from Sacred Heart Church in Calumet Township to form their own congregation, called St. Joseph’s.  In 1903 they replaced their frame structure built in 1889 with this magnificent Jacobsville sandstone twin-towered church.  The Romanesque Revival style is seen in the round arches of […]

Continue Reading →

Lutey Floral Co. Building

luteybuilding

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 136 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul F. P. Mueller (Herman Gundlach, local superintendent)1 Demolished The Lutey Floral Company designed and built for Albert E. Lutey, the president and treasurer of the company. This building was used as a wholesale and retail florists shop.2 The Lutey Floral building was located on Shelden Avenue between Quincy and Pewabic streets.3 According […]

Continue Reading →

Foley Building and Murphy Building

foleymurphy

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Shand & Eastman Alternative Name: Bergdahl and Briggs Buildings Location: 406-08-10 and 412-14-16 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1902-031 Drawings in the Michigan Tech Archives identify the Foley Building (408 Shelden) as being designed by Shand & Eastman; because the building next door is identical, it can be assumed that Shand & Eastman designed that one too. The client for the Foley Building was […]

Continue Reading →

Walz Block

walzblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 416-18 Pine Street, Calumet Built: 1902 Demolished: ca. 1959 Maggie Walz, a Finnish immigrant, was a businesswoman and real estate developer who commissioned this building for herself. Initially a drug store and a candy store occupied the commercial spaces; Walz had her offices in the building and lived upstairs. She owned the building until her death in 1927. Subsequent […]

Continue Reading →

Lake Linden Village Hall

lakelindenvillagehalllate

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 401 Calumet Street, Lake Linden Built: 1901-1902 Contractor: L.F. Ursin In 1887, a fire came close to destroying the village of Lake Linden, approximately 40 acres, and the business district was greatly affected. As part of the rebuilding, the Village Council decided to build a new village hall and fire station for $15,000. After Shand was awarded the contract […]

Continue Reading →

Tamarack Hospital

tamarackhospital

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: Beach at 3rd Street, Tamarack Location Built: 1900 Demolished The Tamarack Hospital was hailed as a “model hospital” when it was constructed, although in appearance it resembled a Queen Anne Revival mansion.1 The walls of the 60-foot-square two-and-a-half-story building were sandstone on the first floor and frame above, sided with narrow clapboards. The gable roof was punctured by symmetrical three-story […]

Continue Reading →

Bollman Block

bollmanblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 800-806 Oak Street, Calumet Built: 19001 Masonry contractor: Paul P. Roehm Destroyed by fire: 1950 Although this business block was initially designed for four separate stores on the first floor, the entire floor was originally occupied by the Lieblein wholesale firm, based in Hancock. In later years, it was home to the Michigan Auto Company. The building was destroyed […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet Opera House and Village Hall Addition

calumetoperahouselate

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Alternative Name: Calumet Theatre Location: 340 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1899-1900 Masonry and excavation: Paul P. Roehm Carpentry: Bajari & Ulseth1 Calumet, located in the heart of the copper mining industry, experienced rapid population growth and built a village hall in 1886, designed by J. B. Sweatt. In 1898 the village decided to add an opera house to the village hall, […]

Continue Reading →

Red Jacket Village Fire Hall

redjacketfirehall

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 325 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1898-99 Carpentry: Bajari & Ulseth Masonry: Procissi & Company After a brush fire in 1870 destroyed approximately two-thirds of the Village of Red Jacket, the first fire department was created in 1875. In 1887 the village paid the fire-fighting force, rather than rely on volunteers. Shand was hired at the end of the century […]

Continue Reading →