Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Painesdale

Painesdale-Jeffers High School Addition

painesdalehsaddition

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: John D. Chubb Location: 43084 Goodell Street, Painesdale Built: 1934-35 Contractor: Herman Gundlach With funding from the Civil Works Administration, Painesdale school officials more than doubled the size of their high school. The Civil Works Administrator described the $200,000 project: “Two new three-story wings were built onto the old building forming a U shaped building. Between the two wings was constructed a new gymnasium and […]

Continue Reading →

Painesdale High School

painesdalehigh

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Alternative Name: Jeffers High School Location: 43084 Goodell Street, Painesdale Built: 1909 Addition: 1934-35, John D. Chubb, architect This Jacobean Revival building was constructed of rough-cut Jacobsville sandstone. The 140’-long building has a flat roof with shaped parapets on each end of the building. It has a symmetrical façade with five main windows, except the center portion, which has three. The central arched entrance bay […]

Continue Reading →

Champion Copper Company Doctor’s House

doctorshouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 6 Algomah St., Painesdale Built: 1906 This Colonial Revival house has a five-bay front with two-story fluted pilasters at the corners. The 44’-10” x 32’ building is two stories with a side-gable roof. A one-story, three-bay porch centered on the front has recently been reconstructed. The wood-frame house was sided with clapboards. The center door entered into a wide center hall, with […]

Continue Reading →

H.S. Goodell House

goodellhouse

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: Hubbard Avenue, Painesdale Built: 1903 This one-and-a-half-story wood-shingled bungalow stands next to the Hubbard House among management housing in Painesdale. H. Stuart Goodell ran the South Range Mercantile Company and was apparently not an employee of the mining company. He was married to Charlotte, Lucius Hubbard’s daughter. The broad side-gable roof extended to cover a porch across the front and had a […]

Continue Reading →

Hubbard House

hubbardhouseearly

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: 31 Hubbard Avenue, Painesdale Built: 1903 One of most elaborate houses in Painesdale was built in 1903 for Dr. Lucius L. Hubbard, the general manager of the Champion Mining Company, who lived here for only about two years. A subsequent general manager, William Schacht, occupied the house for many years. The rectangular building has a symmetrical front façade, a blend of Classical […]

Continue Reading →

Sarah Sargent Paine Memorial Library

painelibrary

by David Daavettila Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler Location: Goodell Street, next to High School, Painesdale Built: 1902-1903 Contractor: Prendergast & Clarkson1 Demolished: 1965 The Sarah Sargent Paine Memorial Library, dedicated to the mother of William Paine, the president of Copper Range Consolidated Company, was many things for the community, accommodating meetings, classes, theater shows and church services. The 86’ x 37’-6” building was constructed in 1902-1903 and served the Painesdale […]

Continue Reading →