by David Daavettila
Architect: Alexander Chadbourne Eschweiler
Location: Hubbard Avenue, Painesdale
This one-and-a-half-story wood-shingled bungalow stands next to the Hubbard House among management housing in Painesdale. H. Stuart Goodell ran the South Range Mercantile Company and was apparently not an employee of the mining company. He was married to Charlotte, Lucius Hubbard’s daughter. The broad side-gable roof extended to cover a porch across the front and had a large gable dormer. The center-hall plan had a living room on one side and a dining room and kitchen on the other.1 The house soon received a one-and-a-half story addition with shed-roofed dormers.2 In 1910 Goodell lived here with his wife, two young daughters, two servants, and a nurse.3
Buildings by Eschweiler in the Copper Country
- Drawing 01/936, Wisconsin Architectural Archives, Milwaukee.
- As depicted in a photograph at www.copperrange.org/snob.htm.
- 1910 census.