Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Eastman

Peter Contralto Block

contraltoblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Cowles & Eastman Location: Corner of Second and Hecla Street, Laurium Built: 1900 As announced in the newspaper, Peter Contralto planned to spend $10,000 on a two-story commercial building. The building would be 50 feet in width and 60 feet in depth. The possible uses for the Contralto Building could be a store, saloon, or offices because of the interior spatial arrangement.1 Cowles & […]

Continue Reading →

Quello Block

quelloblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Cowles & Eastman Location: East side 300 block of 5th Street, Calumet Built: 1900 Carpentry: Charles A. Anderson; Masonry: P. J. Donohue; Heating and Plumbing: Carlton Hardware Co. Cowles & Eastman designed a $15,000 renovation of the existing building on this site, adding a story and a handsome new front. The three-story building then contained two 22’ by 60’ store spaces on the […]

Continue Reading →

Charles K. Shand (et seq.)

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Charles K. Shand (?–1945) worked in the Copper Country for fewer than ten years and designed many important buildings in the area. Most of these buildings were civic, such as the Calumet Opera House, Red Jacket Fire Station and the Lake Linden Village Hall. He partnered briefly with George D. Eastman, who had briefly been in partnership with Clarence L. Cowles. Biography Charles K. […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church

stjosephchurch

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 8th and Oak Streets, Calumet Alternate Name: St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church Built: 1903-081 Slovenians separated from Sacred Heart Church in Calumet Township to form their own congregation, called St. Joseph’s.  In 1903 they replaced their frame structure built in 1889 with this magnificent Jacobsville sandstone twin-towered church.  The Romanesque Revival style is seen in the round arches of […]

Continue Reading →

Lutey Floral Co. Building

luteybuilding

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 136 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul F. P. Mueller (Herman Gundlach, local superintendent)1 Demolished The Lutey Floral Company designed and built for Albert E. Lutey, the president and treasurer of the company. This building was used as a wholesale and retail florists shop.2 The Lutey Floral building was located on Shelden Avenue between Quincy and Pewabic streets.3 According […]

Continue Reading →

Foley Building and Murphy Building

foleymurphy

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Shand & Eastman Alternative Name: Bergdahl and Briggs Buildings Location: 406-08-10 and 412-14-16 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1902-031 Drawings in the Michigan Tech Archives identify the Foley Building (408 Shelden) as being designed by Shand & Eastman; because the building next door is identical, it can be assumed that Shand & Eastman designed that one too. The client for the Foley Building was […]

Continue Reading →