Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Maass

Charles W. Maass; Maass Brothers; Fred Maass

charleswhmaass

by Morgan Davis. Charles Maass (1871-1959) was the architect who worked the longest in the Copper Country during its boom years, practicing here from about 1895 until after 1920. Biography Charles W. Maass was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, the oldest of thirteen children. His father had immigrated to Green Bay from Germany In 1862 and later owned a brickyard in Menominee, Michigan.1 Charles graduated from high school and worked for […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Clubhouse

quincyclubhouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock Built: 1916-17 Demolished: 1990s The two-story building for the Quincy Mining Company served as the company’s club house and bathhouse. The brick building was in a modest Italian Renaissance Revival style with keystones over the paired windows and a flat roof with wide eaves and a modillioned cornice. The bathhouse, with separate facilities for men and women, was located […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anthony of Padua Convent

stanthonyconvent

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 315 7th St., Calumet Built: 1914-15 Contractor: Leo Kaltenbach The Polish Catholics of Calumet formed a congregation, St. Anthony of Padua, in 1882 and built a small wooden church on lots donated by Calumet & Hecla. In 1892 they enlarged it, adding a tower in the center of the front and an ell in the rear for a school.1 In about 1907 the […]

Continue Reading →

Laurium Village Hall

lauriumvillagehall

by Morgan Davis Architect: Fred Maass Location: Hecla Street, Laurium Remodeled: 1914 Contractor: Chatel & Vairo In 1899 the recently incorporated village of Laurium built a new village hall, a two-story building with false front. Fifteen years later, the village decided on an expansion and remodeling, and hired Fred Maass to prepare the plans. It is the only credit found of his solo work. The bid was awarded to Chatel […]

Continue Reading →

Chassell High School

chassellhighschool

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 42365 N. Hancock St., Chassell Built: 1912 Among their many school commissions, the Maass Brothers designed Chassell’s first high school. The newspaper described it: The school is 58 by 46 feet in ground dimensions, a frame structure two stories high. The first floor exterior is to be finished in siding and the second floor with shingles. Two classrooms are to be on each […]

Continue Reading →

Temple Jacob

templejacob

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Front Street, Hancock Built: 1912 Builder: Archie Verville Temple Jacob is the only synagogue in the Copper Country. Before the temple was built the services were held at the houses of different members. Henry Pimstein, Henry Feldman, J. Gottliebson, J. Green, and most notably, Jacob Gartner, decided to establish a Jewish temple.1 The Quincy Mining Company donated the land the temple sits on, but […]

Continue Reading →

Independent Order of Odd Fellows

ioofbuilding

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 109 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 19101 This large brick building has lost its cornice and the third-floor windows have been partially filled in, but its facade still retains its general appearance. At ground level, a large storefront fills most of the space, with a doorway to the upper floors at one side. The second floor has large plate-glass windows, while the third has […]

Continue Reading →

Masonic Temple of Houghton

masonictemple2

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: City Centre Location: 616-618 Sheldon Avenue, Houghton Built: 1910 Contractor: Herman Gundlach1 The four-story building is faced with Jacobsville sandstone. Smooth-faced pilaster-like elements are set off against the rough texture of the rest of the wall. Windows are grouped into threes across the front, except for the center bay, which is only one window wide and has a handsome pedimented doorway at […]

Continue Reading →

Hoatson House

hoatsonhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: Laurium Manor Inn Location: 320 Tamarack Street, Laurium Built: 1907-08 Interior decoration: Maxwell & Stillman of Milwaukee1 The Hoatson House was designed by the Maass Brothers and built in 1908 for Thomas H. and Cornelia Hoatson, owners of Calumet & Arizona Mining Company. The hip-roofed house has gable dormers and a wraparound porch. Colonial Revival elements include the general symmetry, two-story pedimented […]

Continue Reading →

Lathrop House

lathrophouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 78 4th Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 J. H. Lathrop, Calumet & Hecla’s chief clerk, commissioned this 47’ x 64’ house in 1906 but did not live to see its completion. The Colonial Revival-style house was two-and-a-half stories tall with a two-story portico. A one-story porch wrapped around the front. Two-story bay windows flanked the portico. The wood-frame house, sided with clapboard, was built […]

Continue Reading →