Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Maass

Milligan House

milliganhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 94 Third Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 Captain James Milligan commissioned the design of this house from the Maass Brothers. Construction was completed in 1907.1 The two-and-a-half story house is in the Classical Revival style. Its high hip roof has hip-roofed dormers and a clerestory. Corner pilasters and a modillioned cornice ornament the blocky structure. Very thin clapboards cover the wood frame; the foundation is […]

Continue Reading →

Croatian Co-operative Store

croatianco-op

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 7th and Elm streets, Calumet Built: 1907 Builder: W. F. Milford1 The Croatian Co-Operative Company formed in about 1906 and built this store building. Officers were William Mihelcich, President; Frank Stepech, Secretary; Matti Drazich, Treasurer; and John Agnich, Manager. They offered general merchandise and claimed to be “The Largest Co-Operative Store in Calumet,” a challenge to the Tamarack Co-op. By 1912, though, the […]

Continue Reading →

Tamarack Co-operative Store

tamarackco-opknhp

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Oak Street, Calumet Built: 1907; Demolished Contractor: L. F. Ursin Hailed as the “largest retail outlet north of Milwaukee,” the Tamarack Co-operative Store was also one of the most successful co-ops in the United States. Supported by mine managers, the store kept retail prices low throughout the Copper Country, allowing managers to keep wages correspondingly low.1 The Co-op was apparently the idea of […]

Continue Reading →

Ulseth House

ulsethhouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 416 8th St., Calumet Built: ca. 1906 Edward Ulseth, the noted Calumet builder, had the Maass Brothers design this house and probably built it himself.1 The large house with cross-gabled roof is set on a large lot. The one-story porch wrapping around the front and the Palladian window in the gable are the most distinguishing features. Buildings by Maass, et al., in the Copper […]

Continue Reading →

Sibilski House

sibilskihouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 221 Iroquois St. Laurium Built: ca. 1906 This house was built sometime between 1905 and 1908 for T. Sibilski and family. Copies of undated drawings executed by the Maass Bros. are located in the Keweenaw National Historical Park archives. The asymmetrical house is particularly notable for its arched sandstone entranceway, all the more remarkable because it is attached to a wood-frame house clad in […]

Continue Reading →

MacDonald House

macdonaldexterior

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 305 Tamarack St., Laurium Built: 19061 Norman MacDonald, born in Germany in 1864 to a Scottish father and a Norwegian mother, immigrated as a child to Calumet. His father owned a drugstore at 100 Fifth Street in Calumet. Norman MacDonald took over the business in the late 1890s, living over the store with his wife, Minnie. By 1905, though, MacDonald had retired from […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet State Bank

calumetstatebank

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Oak and 6th Streets, Calumet Built: 1906 Masonry: Paul Roehm Carpentry: Charles Anderson The newly formed Calumet State Bank commissioned this handsome structure in 1906.1 Situated on the corner of Oak and Sixth Streets, the building was designed to complement the Coppo Block adjacent to it on 6th Street. Both are three stories with round-arched windows at the third story. The bank building is faced […]

Continue Reading →

Jacka Block

jackablock

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 5th and Portland streets, Calumet Built: 1905 Masonry: Paul P. Roehm Interior Carpentry: Edward Ulseth Walter Jacka, partner in Jacka and Sullivan Livery, whose stable was located in the rear of this lot, commissioned this building when his previous building on the site was destroyed by fire. The new building was predicted to cost $20,000. Before construction started, the plan was to divide […]

Continue Reading →

Charles Maass House

maasshouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 243 Tamarack St., Laurium Built: 1905 Charles Maass bought a small house on this site, enlarged it, and lived in it for several years.1 The front gable with Palladian window and cross gable over a bay window were features repeated in houses he would design over the next few years, such as the Weir and Ulseth houses. Maass’s house has a Jacobsville sandstone […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan House

michiganhouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 6th and Oak Streets, Calumet Built: 19051 Built for the Bosch Brewing Company, the Michigan House is a roughly square building, four bays by four bays, with two storefronts along Oak Street and a central doorway to upper floors. The corner storefront with a recessed corner entrance was historically occupied by a saloon designed to feature Bosch Brewing Company products, with a […]

Continue Reading →