Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Lake Linden

Lake Linden High School

lakelindenhs

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: John D. Chubb Location: 601 Calumet St., Lake Linden Built: 1918 When Lake Linden’s parochial school, St. Ann’s Academy, ceased teaching the high-school grades in 1915, the influx of new students into the public school pressured the school board to construct a new building. The three-story masonry building in the Collegiate Gothic style was a substantial improvement over its wood-frame predecessor. The basement, frames around […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

stjoseph

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: A.F. Wasielewski Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Completed: 1912 Contractor: A. F. Wasielewski Charlton, Gilbert & Demar, with C. Archibald Pearce as Associate Architect, originally designed this building, which would have faced Front Street. Although construction was begun in 1901, lack of funding delayed the process. In 1905 a young priest named Napoleon Joseph Raymond was brought in to serve this French Canadian congregation. He stayed […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

by Katie Torrey Associate Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Built: Begun 1901, not completed until 1912 with a modified design Pearce was listed as associate architect on this building; Charlton, Gilbert & Demar were the architects of record. See main entry and second entry for this building Buildings by Charles Archibald Pearce in the Copper Country

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

stjosephchurch

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Begun: 1901-02, with C. A. Pearce, associate architect Completed: 1912 with a modified design, A. F. Wasielewski, architect By 1897 the French Canadian congregation of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church had outgrown its 1871 church building, so it decided to build a new stone church at the same location. Charlton, […]

Continue Reading →

Lake Linden Village Hall

lakelindenvillagehalllate

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 401 Calumet Street, Lake Linden Built: 1901-1902 Contractor: L.F. Ursin In 1887, a fire came close to destroying the village of Lake Linden, approximately 40 acres, and the business district was greatly affected. As part of the rebuilding, the Village Council decided to build a new village hall and fire station for $15,000. After Shand was awarded the contract […]

Continue Reading →

First Congregational Church of Lake Linden

firstcongchurchsummer

by Justin Beckman. Architect: Holabird & Roche Location: 1st and Tunnel Streets, Lake Linden Built: 1886 Contractors: Emery & McCurdy The First Congregational Church of Lake Linden was built in 1887 for a largely Scottish group of copper-milling company officials and local businessmen. The building was dedicated in February of 1887, at a final cost of $8,325.1 That summer a fire destroyed a dozen city blocks of Lake Linden, leaving 300 families […]

Continue Reading →