Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Charlton

Charlton & Gilbert (et seq.)

DMG2

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. D. Fred Charlton and his associates had the most significant architectural practice in the Copper Country. Although they kept an office in Hancock for only a few years (listed in the 1899-1900 and 1901-02 directories), from their office in Marquette they were able to obtain most of the important commissions. With Calumet & Hecla Mining Company (two buildings) and Michigan […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Church

stjosephchurch

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden Begun: 1901-02, with C. A. Pearce, associate architect Completed: 1912 with a modified design, A. F. Wasielewski, architect By 1897 the French Canadian congregation of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church had outgrown its 1871 church building, so it decided to build a new stone church at the same location. Charlton, […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet & Hecla Bathhouse

chbathlate

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Location: U.S. 41, Calumet Built: 1910-11 The popularity of the bathtubs and showers that Calumet & Hecla had built in the basement of the library necessitated the construction of a bathhouse soon after. The $45,000 building was one story on a raised basement and accommodated bathtubs for women, bathtubs and showers for men, and a 26’ x 40’ […]

Continue Reading →

Ripley School

ripleyschool

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Location: M-26, Franklin Township Built: 19081 This two-story, Jacobsville sandstone school has a Classical Revival appearance. A central pediment is supported by four smooth-faced sandstone pilasters. The cornice has modillions and dentils. Above the doorway are three round-arched windows. The broad hip roof is crowned by a cupola. The sandstone walls are rough-faced, contrasting with the pilasters […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Administration and Library Building

aob

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: Academic Office Building Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1908 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This building was constructed to house the library, administrative offices, and mineral museum. Currently it is the home of the Department of Social Sciences, School of Business and Economics, and the Department of Education. The Classical Revival-style building is clad in a dark […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet Manual Training and High School

clk

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: CLK High School Location: U.S. 41, Calumet, MI Built: 1905-07 In 1905, Calumet’s Manual Training and High Schools, which were owned by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company and leased to the school district, burned to the ground. C&H hired Charlton & Kuenzli to design the replacement, in which the two schools were combined. […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Gymnasium and Clubhouse

rotc

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Kuenzli Alternative Name: ROTC Building Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1904-06 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This building, the oldest remaining on campus, was built as the gymnasium and clubhouse in 1904-06. In 1902, the faculty pledged to donate $1,700 toward the new building and the students raised it to $5,000. When the fund reached $18,500, construction began. The gymnasium […]

Continue Reading →

Hall Building

hallbuilding

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Gilbert Alternative Name: Citizens National Bank Building Location: 320 Shelden Ave., Houghton Built: 1902 Contractor: Herman Gundlach Charles Archibald Pearce, briefly associated with Charlton & Gilbert, was also linked to the design of this building. The three-story Classical Revival building was clad in brick, trimmed with Jacobsville sandstone. The paired entrance is centered, with storefronts to either […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan Mining School, Chemistry Building

koenighall

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Gilbert Alternative Name: Koenig Hall Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1901-02 Contractor: Northern Construction Co. Destroyed by fire 1920 Built at a cost of $23,500, the Chemistry building was more modest in design. The two-story brick building had a hipped roof and modillioned cornice. The center three-bay section projected and was topped by a pediment.1 Buildings by Charlton […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan Mining School, Mining Engineering Building

miningeng

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Gilbert Alternative Name: Sperr Hall Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1901-02 Demolished: 1970 In 1901 Michigan Mining School received funding for two additional buildings. The mining engineering building, built at a cost of $28,880, was a two-story hip-roofed structure with a five-story tower centered on the front. The brick building had a high sandstone basement and a number of […]

Continue Reading →