Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: residence

Roehm House

roehmhouse

by Scott Hager Architect: William Pryor Location: 101 Willow Street (corner of First and Boundary), Laurium Built: 1895-96 Paul P. Roehm (1857-1925) was a contractor and coal dealer, but this house exhibits another of his lines of work, and that was masonry. A rare example of a Jacobsville sandstone house, this is a particularly ornate one. The three-story, round corner tower is the most distinguishing feature. A verandah curves around […]

Continue Reading →

Harris House

harrishouse

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: 108 Center Street, Hancock Built: 1909 The Harris House was constructed for Samuel B. Harris and his son, John Harris.1 Cornish-born Samuel Harris was superintendent of the Quincy mine from 1884-1902 and was succeeded, briefly, by his college-educated son, John. The two men shared the house. The building is located on the top of a bluff that overlooks the Portage Canal, and sits […]

Continue Reading →

Jones House

joneshouse

by Jason Cope Architect: Paul H. Macneil Location: 229 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1906 Richard D. Jones, a dentist, had an office in the Herman Building in Calumet, where Paul Macneil also had offices. Apparently, he looked down the hall and hired an architect to design his house. The wood-frame building has a cross-gable roof. The walls of the first floor are sided in clapboard, the upper floors in shingles. […]

Continue Reading →

St. Anthony of Padua Convent

stanthonyconvent

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 315 7th St., Calumet Built: 1914-15 Contractor: Leo Kaltenbach The Polish Catholics of Calumet formed a congregation, St. Anthony of Padua, in 1882 and built a small wooden church on lots donated by Calumet & Hecla. In 1892 they enlarged it, adding a tower in the center of the front and an ell in the rear for a school.1 In about 1907 the […]

Continue Reading →

Hoatson House

hoatsonhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Alternative Name: Laurium Manor Inn Location: 320 Tamarack Street, Laurium Built: 1907-08 Interior decoration: Maxwell & Stillman of Milwaukee1 The Hoatson House was designed by the Maass Brothers and built in 1908 for Thomas H. and Cornelia Hoatson, owners of Calumet & Arizona Mining Company. The hip-roofed house has gable dormers and a wraparound porch. Colonial Revival elements include the general symmetry, two-story pedimented […]

Continue Reading →

Lathrop House

lathrophouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 78 4th Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 J. H. Lathrop, Calumet & Hecla’s chief clerk, commissioned this 47’ x 64’ house in 1906 but did not live to see its completion. The Colonial Revival-style house was two-and-a-half stories tall with a two-story portico. A one-story porch wrapped around the front. Two-story bay windows flanked the portico. The wood-frame house, sided with clapboard, was built […]

Continue Reading →

Milligan House

milliganhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 94 Third Street, Laurium Built: 1906-07 Captain James Milligan commissioned the design of this house from the Maass Brothers. Construction was completed in 1907.1 The two-and-a-half story house is in the Classical Revival style. Its high hip roof has hip-roofed dormers and a clerestory. Corner pilasters and a modillioned cornice ornament the blocky structure. Very thin clapboards cover the wood frame; the foundation is […]

Continue Reading →

Ulseth House

ulsethhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 416 8th St. Calumet Built: ca. 1906 Edward Ulseth, the noted Calumet builder, had the Maass Brothers design this house and probably built it himself.1 The large house with cross-gabled roof is set on a large lot. The one-story porch wrapping around the front and the Palladian window in the gable are the most distinguishing features. Notes “New Weir Residence Ready for Occupancy,” Daily […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan Technological University, Daniell Heights Addition

daniellheights

by Brett Schlager Architect: Tarapata-MacMahon Associates Location: Michigan Tech Campus, Woodmar Dr., Houghton Built: 1965 Contractor: Mattila Contracting, Inc. In 1965, a second phase was added to Daniell Heights, just east of the original apartment buildings.1 The original portion of Daniell Heights, built in 1960, had been designed by Minoru Yamasaki. The buildings were once again two stories, and they were built primarily in groups of eight units. This addition consisted of […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan Technological University, Sheldon Heights

daniellheights1

by Nicole Measel Architect: Yamasaki & Associates Alternative Name: Daniell Heights Location: Woodmar Dr., Houghton Built: 1960 Contractor: Herman Gundlach, Inc.1 Though Yamasaki is known for designing towers and other large structures, there was a time in his career when he focused on smaller scale projects. As he said, “As I grow older in life I find that it is really best to concentrate on a smaller area.”2 One of these […]

Continue Reading →