by Brett Schlager
Architect: Tarapata-MacMahon Associates
Location: Michigan Tech Campus, Woodmar Dr., Houghton
Contractor: Mattila Contracting, Inc.
In 1965, a second phase was added to Daniell Heights, just east of the original apartment buildings.1 The original portion of Daniell Heights, built in 1960, had been designed by Minoru Yamasaki. The buildings were once again two stories, and they were built primarily in groups of eight units. This addition consisted of 98 apartments, including 42 one-bedroom apartments, 50 two-bedroom units, and 6 three-bedroom units. This addition cost approximately $1.2 million, and is currently known as the Upper Heights.2
Buildings by Tarapata-MacMahon Associates in the Copper Country
- Suomi College, Finlandia Hall 1984
- Detroit & Northern Savings and Loan Association 1972
- Michigan Technological University, McNair Residence Hall 1968
- Michigan Technological University, Daniell Heights Addition 1965
- “Daniell Heights,”News from Michigan Tech, 2 February 1965, Vertical File at MTU Archives.
- “Daniell Heights,”News from Michigan Tech, 24 April 1965, Vertical File at MTU Archives.