Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Campbell

Duncan Campbell

by A. K. Hoagland. Originally a carpenter, Duncan Campbell had a brief but prolific career as an architect in Laurium. Biography Duncan Campbell first appeared as a carpenter in the 1899-1900 Polk Directory1, but from 1901 until 1908 he was listed as an architect. In 1899 the newspaper asserted that “Within the past year Duncan Campbell has designed, planned, and erected two dozen residences in this vicinity and every one of […]

Continue Reading →

Marta Block

Marta Block

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 323 Hecla St., Laurium Built: 1900 Campbell designed the three-story building known as the Marta Block, also constructed of Portage Entry sandstone, on the same block as the Richetta Block. Three bays wide, the building stretched 42 feet across the front. Most of the stone is rough-faced, random laid, but it is accented by beltcourses of smooth-faced sandstone. The third-level windows have […]

Continue Reading →

Richetta Block

Richetta Block

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 333 Hecla St., Laurium Built: 1900 Burned: 1947 Michael Richetta commissioned this business block constructed of Portage Entry sandstone. Originally planned to be two stories with the capacity of having a third or even fourth story added, it appears to have been built as a three-story building. The 42-foot front was divided into two commercial spaces, one 25 feet wide (occupied by Superior […]

Continue Reading →

Bessolo House

Bessolo House

by A. K. Hoagland Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 85 First St., Laurium Built: 1900 Contractor: Rathbone Campbell designed this modest house for Matthew Bessolo, an employee of Calumet & Hecla, who also served as a Laurium village trustee in 1905. The two-story house had an open porch and a cross-gable roof. Inside were double parlors connected by folding doors, dining room, kitchen, and pantry. On the second floor were four bedrooms.1 The […]

Continue Reading →

Duncan Campbell House II

Campbell House 2

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 208 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1900 When Duncan Campbell designed this house for himself, he placed it across the street from two of his other accomplishments: 205 and 209 Pewabic. His own house was slightly more modest, not having a tower, but it had a porch across the front, a bay window on the side, and an intricate hipped roof with cross gable […]

Continue Reading →

Galbraith House

Galbraith House

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 205 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1900 William J. Galbraith, a lawyer, had this house built for $5,000. Galbraith was involved in at least one famous case: he defended the deputies who were accused of killing strikers in their home in Seeberville, a neighborhood of Painesdale, during the 1913-14 strike. After the conviction of four deputies, the Copper Range Company hired another lawyer for […]

Continue Reading →

Grimmer House

Grimmer House

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 325 Kearsarge St., Laurium Built: 1899 Henry Grimmer, a grocer, commissioned Campbell to design this relatively modest house and lived there only briefly. The newspaper said that “the style of architecture is colonial design, there being a large veranda in front with a balcony above it.” It went on to describe a parlor, dining room, library, and kitchen on the first floor with […]

Continue Reading →

Duncan Campbell House I

Campbell House 1 Late

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 209 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1898 Duncan Campbell bought this lot in 1898 for $500 and sold it a year later for $4,900, presumably with a new house on it. The buyer was Clara J. Douglas, who lived there with her husband, Frank, an insurance agent. In 1902 Thomas J. Hoatson paid $7,200 for the house, which he and his family occupied while […]

Continue Reading →