Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Hancock

Harris House

harrishouse

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: 108 Center Street, Hancock Built: 1909 The Harris House was constructed for Samuel B. Harris and his son, John Harris.1 Cornish-born Samuel Harris was superintendent of the Quincy mine from 1884-1902 and was succeeded, briefly, by his college-educated son, John. The two men shared the house. The building is located on the top of a bluff that overlooks the Portage Canal, and sits […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Clubhouse

quincyclubhouse

by Morgan Davis Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock Built: 1916-17 Demolished: 1990s The two-story building for the Quincy Mining Company served as the company’s club house and bathhouse. The brick building was in a modest Italian Renaissance Revival style with keystones over the paired windows and a flat roof with wide eaves and a modillioned cornice. The bathhouse, with separate facilities for men and women, was located […]

Continue Reading →

Temple Jacob

templejacob

by Morgan Davis Architect: Maass Brothers Location: Front Street, Hancock Built: 1912 Builder: Archie Verville Temple Jacob is the only synagogue in the Copper Country. Before the temple was built the services were held at the houses of different members. Henry Pimstein, Henry Feldman, J. Gottliebson, J. Green, and most notably, Jacob Gartner, decided to establish a Jewish temple.1 The Quincy Mining Company donated the land the temple sits on, but […]

Continue Reading →

Suomi College, Finlandia Hall

finlandiahall

by Brett Schlager Architect: TMP Associates, Inc. Location: Finlandia University Campus, Hancock Built: 1983-1984 Contractor: Herman Gundlach, Inc. Finlandia Hall is a four-story, 192-room, co-ed student dormitory that is home to 184 students.1 Finlandia Hall was completed and ready for occupation in September of 1984 after a $3.5 million loan from the Federal Department of Education.2 The building’s façade faces south and is said to have a “domestic character” that resembles […]

Continue Reading →

Detroit & Northern Savings and Loan Association

dnbank

by Brett Schlager Architect: TMP Associates, Inc. Alternative Name: Republic Bank, Citizens Bank Location: 400 Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1972 Contractor: Herman Gundlach, Inc. Founded in Hancock as the Northern Michigan Building & Loan Association, Detroit & Northern Savings and Loan Association has served as a major financial establishment in Northern Michigan for over 100 years, and in both Northern and Lower Michigan for over 80 years. Recently D&N Bank […]

Continue Reading →

Suomi College, J. K. Nikander Hall

nikanderhallside

by Landon Helmuth Architect: Eero Saarinen Location: Finlandia Campus, Hancock Built: 1939 J. K. Nikander Hall was the second permanent building on the Suomi College (Finlandia University) campus. It was designed by Eero Saarinen in conjunction with his father, Eliel, and his father’s assistant, J. R. F. Swanson, of Cranbrook Institute. Eliel Saarinen and Swanson also created the layout of a “long range building program” for future construction on the […]

Continue Reading →

Hancock Central High School

hancockhighschool

by Andrew Bolthouse Architect: G.L. Lockhart Alternative Name: Hancock Middle School Location: 417 Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1923-24 Contractor: Archie Verville Electrical contract: Cuff & Co. (Edward Cuff) Plumbing: Gibson Plumbing Co., Minneapolis After the previous high school burned down on July 25, 1922, a new high school was constructed behind the site of the previous one. The Gothic Revival school had a large expanse of south-facing windows, consistent with […]

Continue Reading →

Hugo Field and Lucy Gartner House

Hugo Field and Lucy Gartner House 
(photo by Steven A. Walton, 2013)

by Steven A. Walton. Architect/Builder: Archie Verville (circumstantial) Location: 310 Mason Ave., East Hancock Built: c.1910. In 1911 Jacob Gartner, owner of Gartner’s Department Store in Hancock, purchased the house at the corner of Mason Ave and White St. in the Quincy Addition as a wedding present for his daughter Lucile (Lucie).  The lot had originally been purchased from the Quincy Mining Co. for $1500 by Charles Matthews and wife on 18 Dec. 1909, but Gartner […]

Continue Reading →

Kauth House

kauthhouse

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 318 Cooper Ave., East Hancock Built: 1907 A two-story porch with two-story fluted columns and a prominent pedimented portico distinguish this house, which also has two-story bay windows flanking the central entrance. Andrew Kauth, owner of the Kauth Block and a fine upscale saloon, had this foundation dug and laid a couple years ahead of time in order to let it settle […]

Continue Reading →

Lawton House

lawtonhouse

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 216 Cooper St., East Hancock Built: 1907 This bungalow-style home was originally built for Swaby and Lucy Lawton. Swaby was a lawyer for Hanchette & Lawton and brother of Quincy Mining Company’s general manager.1 The side-gable roof is a prominent feature, extending to cover the porch across the front. There are two large hip-roofed dormers in front of different sizes, although the […]

Continue Reading →