Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Hancock

Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall

hthearly

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Alternative Name: Hancock City Hall Location: 399 Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1898-99 Contractor: E. E. Grip & Co. of Ishpeming Interior Painting: Associated Artists of Milwaukee In February 1898, three architectural firms submitted plans for this commission: William T. Pryor, C. Archibald Pearce, and Charlton, Gilbert & Demar. The latter firm was selected, and the building was […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Office Building

quincymineoffice

by Josh Makela Architect: Robert Correa Walsh Location: US-41, Hancock Built: 1895-1897 Quincy Mining Company began construction of its office building in late 1895 and completed it in 1897.1 The building served as the main office of the Quincy Mining Company in Michigan; the company was headquartered in New York. Company Treasurer William R. Todd lived in Morristown and recommended his neighbor, Robert C. Walsh, as the architect.2 There is no evidence […]

Continue Reading →

Seth D. North & Son Store

northgm

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Demar & Lovejoy Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock Built: 1894-95 Contractor: E. E. Grip & Co. Demolished This building was a two-story store constructed of variegated Jacobsville sandstone. Paired plate-glass windows flanked the round-arched center entrance. Round-arched windows illuminated the second floor. The building had no cornice. Quincy Mining Company built a store and operated it in 1863-64, but lost […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank Building

firstnationalbankad

by Brandon M. Herman. Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 101-103 Qunicy St., Hancock Built: 1888 Addition to top and north: 1903, Charles Archibald Pearce This building was constructed in 1888 under the supervision of Pierce, who designed a two-story structure which was expanded in 1903 according to designs by Charles Archibald Pearce to provide a third floor. It was located on the main street in Hancock, and many companies held office space […]

Continue Reading →

Northwestern Hotel

northwesternhotel

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 211-213 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1886 Demolished: 1995 The Northwestern Hotel, the first high-class hotel in Hancock, had 50 rooms with electric lighting and bathrooms with hot and cold water. The hotel was four stories tall, the tallest building in Hancock. The brick building had sandstone trim and a large pressed metal cornice. The façade was seven bays wide with balconies […]

Continue Reading →