Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Hancock

Liebert House

lieberthouse

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 214 Mason St., East Hancock Built: 1907 Hans Liebert designed and built his house about 1907.1 Several Jacobean Revival features are contained in a bungalow form in this house. The brick walls, parapeted gable wall dormers, portcullis-like entrance, and half-timbering in the gable are all elements of the Jacobean Revival, while the broad gable roof, deep bracketed eaves, and oriel with stained glass […]

Continue Reading →

Gennette Block

gennetteblock

by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 813-15 Lincoln Drive, corner of Elevation Street, Hancock Built: 1906 S. A. Gennette commissioned this unusual tile-block building in 1906.1 One of Pierce’s last works, he died less than two months before it opened in November 1906. When the building opened Gennette claimed to have prepared the plans and specifications and to have supervised construction, but Pierce’s obituary stated that Pierce had prepared […]

Continue Reading →

Germania Hall

germaniahall

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: North side Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1906 Destroyed by fire 1966 Contractor: Northern Construction Company Plumbing: E. A. Hamilton Heating: Funkey Bros. Electricity: Charles Kenerson1 The German Aid Society, which claimed to be “the oldest society in copperdom,” was formed in 1859 by forty-men who worked at the Quincy Mining Company. Besides its social function, the organization was also a benevolent society, […]

Continue Reading →

Elks Club

elksclub

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: Southeast corner of Hancock and Reservation streets, Hancock Built: 1906 Demolished: ca. 1950 Hancock’s Elks Club contracted for a two-story brick building with a rounded corner, elaborate cornice, and decorative molding over the second-floor windows. The basement was left unfinished, but was planned to accommodate bowling alleys or gymnasium, as well as the furnace. Commercial storefronts occupied the first floor, providing an […]

Continue Reading →

Schneider Building

schneiderbuilding

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 319-321 Quincy St. Hancock Built: 1906 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This three-story brick building was constructed for Joseph Schneider of 317 Harris St., East Hancock, who owned a saloon on the first floor. The first-floor storefronts have been altered; the drawings indicate they would have been sandstone. The second and third stories have four bays of paired windows, with raised brick panels on […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Houses

whitestreet

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 49231 Hillside, 19570 Sampson, 19604 Sampson, 49142 Roosevelt, 311 White, and 317 White, Hancock. Built: 1905 Contractor: Gauthier Brothers Liebert designed two types of houses for Quincy to build and sell to the public in its newly platted Quincy Second Hillside Addition. The smaller form (the first three listed) was 1 ½ stories with a large entrance hall, two rooms on the […]

Continue Reading →

St. Joseph’s Hospital

stjosephhospitalearly

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: Water Street, Hancock Built: 1902-04; demolished late 1985 Contractor: Fred E. King and Co.; Plastering: William Patton; Plumbing and gas: Fred Stoyle; Heating: James Sullivan; Electric wiring: George H. Hall and Co.; Tile and marble: George H. Rees; contractor for laundry building: George McGlynn.1 St. Mary’s Hospital was established in 1896 in Bishop John Vertin’s family home in Hancock. In 1903 construction […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank Building Addition

firstnationalbankadd

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 101-103 Quincy St., Hancock Addition: 1903 The architect for the original building was Byron H. Pierce. This building was enlarged in 1903, when Pearce designed a third floor for the building and an additional 40 feet on the north side of the building. In 1903 it was considered one of the finest buildings in the city of Hancock. This building also housed other […]

Continue Reading →

Whittle House

whittlehousefront

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 415 Cooper Ave. East Hancock Built: 1902-3 Thomas Whittle, chief mining captain for the Quincy Mining Company, purchased this property and had two houses removed from it and placed at the top of Vivian Street. The house was built as a wedding gift for his wife, Lylie. The two-and-a-half-story house had a cross-gabled roof with projections in the peaks of the gables. […]

Continue Reading →

J.E. Scallon House

scallonhouse

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 1209 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1901-02 This rambling house has an irregular roofline, projections and recessions, bay windows, dormers of different shapes, and porches. Located on the far west side of Hancock, this house was built for Dr. J. E. Scallon. It was planned in 1901, and was to be one of the “costly and elegant” houses in Hancock. The newspaper described […]

Continue Reading →