Lawton House


by Joe Lukaszewski

Architect: Hans T. Liebert
Location: 216 Cooper St., East Hancock
Built: 1907

Lawton House. Photograph by Joe Lukaszewski, 2006.

This bungalow-style home was originally built for Swaby and Lucy Lawton. Swaby was a lawyer for Hanchette & Lawton and brother of Quincy Mining Company’s general manager.1

The side-gable roof is a prominent feature, extending to cover the porch across the front. There are two large hip-roofed dormers in front of different sizes, although the one on the right may have originally been an open porch. There is a bay window on the first-floor front. The walls are wood-shingled.

Buildings by Hans T. Liebert in the Copper Country


  1. Alexander, East Hancock Revisited, 11.