by Morgan Davis
Architect: Maass Brothers
Location: 7th and Elm streets, Calumet
Builder: W. F. Milford1
The Croatian Co-Operative Company formed in about 1906 and built this store building. Officers were William Mihelcich, President; Frank Stepech, Secretary; Matti Drazich, Treasurer; and John Agnich, Manager. They offered general merchandise and claimed to be “The Largest Co-Operative Store in Calumet,” a challenge to the Tamarack Co-op. By 1912, though, the Croatian Co-operative Store was out of business.2
The two-story, 74′ x 118′ building had a canted corner entrance and large plate-glass windows topped with prism glass. The first-story walls were Jacobsville sandstone and the second-story brick. A modillioned cornice topped the building. On the second floor of the 7th Street façade, three Chicago-style windows were set in large brick panels, while paired windows filled the panels on the Elm Street side. The store occupied the 7th Street side of the building on both the first and second floors. On the Elm Street side, space was prepared for a meat market, with a large refrigerator, that would be operated independently from the store. Above the meat market, three four-room flats, each with a separate bath, were available for rental.3
Buildings by Maass, et al., in the Copper Country
- Quincy Mining Company Clubhouse 1917
- St. Anthony of Padua Convent 1915
- Laurium Village Hall 1914
- Chassell High School 1912
- Temple Jacob 1912
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows 1910
- Masonic Temple of Houghton 1910
- Hoatson House 1908
- Lathrop House 1907
- Milligan House 1907
- A perspective drawing of the building, attributing the building to Maass Brothers Architects” and “Built by W. F. Milford,” hangs in the building today.
- Polk Directories.
- “To Start Work Soon on New Croatian Building,” Daily Mining Gazette, 11 July 1907.