by Morgan Davis
Architect: Maass Brothers
Location: 109 Shelden Avenue, Houghton
This large brick building has lost its cornice and the third-floor windows have been partially filled in, but its facade still retains its general appearance. At ground level, a large storefront fills most of the space, with a doorway to the upper floors at one side. The second floor has large plate-glass windows, while the third has segmental-arched windows, paired in the center three bays.
The Oddfellows occupied the third-floor hall of this building. By 1937 George Kirkish leased the building for his furniture store, buying the building in 1950. The family sold the building in 1995.
Buildings by Maass, et al., in the Copper Country
- Quincy Mining Company Clubhouse 1917
- St. Anthony of Padua Convent 1915
- Laurium Village Hall 1914
- Chassell High School 1912
- Temple Jacob 1912
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows 1910
- Masonic Temple of Houghton 1910
- Hoatson House 1908
- Lathrop House 1907
- Milligan House 1907
- Gundlach Collection, 87C, MTU Archives.