Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Union Building

by Brandon M. Herman

Architect: Byron H. Pierce
Location: Fifth St. and Red Jacket Rd., Calumet
Built: 1888

unionbuildingdetail

Union Building, detail showing fraternal associations. Photograph by Brandon Herman, 2006.

The Union Building Association commissioned this building to accommodate the Free & Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as more than twenty other fraternal groups. The Association leased the land from Calumet & Hecla and rented the storefronts to commercial enterprises, such as the Merchant’s and Miner’s Bank, the U.S. Post Office, and the Keweenaw Printing Company. Keweenaw National Historical Park currently owns the building.1

The three-story brick building has sandstone trim and a recently restored modillioned cornice. There are two ground-floor storefronts, one with a recessed entrance on the corner. At the second and third levels, the windows are paired, united by a stone segmental arch. Masons’ and Oddfellows’ logos are located in the lintels of the center windows.

unionbuilding

Union Building. Photograph by A. K. Hoagland, 2007.

Buildings by Byron H. Pierce in the Copper Country

Notes

  1. Union Building Association of Calumet, Records of Meetings, Keweenaw National Historical Park.

Categories: Building

Tags: , , ,