Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: business

Schneider Building

schneiderbuilding

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 319-321 Quincy St. Hancock Built: 1906 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This three-story brick building was constructed for Joseph Schneider of 317 Harris St., East Hancock, who owned a saloon on the first floor. The first-floor storefronts have been altered; the drawings indicate they would have been sandstone. The second and third stories have four bays of paired windows, with raised brick panels on […]

Continue Reading →

Jacka Block

jackablock

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Maass Brothers Location: 5th and Portland streets, Calumet Built: 1905 Masonry: Paul P. Roehm Interior Carpentry: Edward Ulseth Walter Jacka, partner in Jacka and Sullivan Livery, whose stable was located in the rear of this lot, commissioned this building when his previous building on the site was destroyed by fire. The new building was predicted to cost $20,000. Before construction started, the plan was to divide […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan House

michiganhouse

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 6th and Oak Streets, Calumet Built: 19051 Built for the Bosch Brewing Company, the Michigan House is a roughly square building, four bays by four bays, with two storefronts along Oak Street and a central doorway to upper floors. The corner storefront with a recessed corner entrance was historically occupied by a saloon designed to feature Bosch Brewing Company products, with a […]

Continue Reading →

Lutey Floral Co. Building

luteybuilding

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens. Architect: Shand & Eastman Location: 136 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul F. P. Mueller (Herman Gundlach, local superintendent)1 Demolished The Lutey Floral Company designed and built for Albert E. Lutey, the president and treasurer of the company. This building was used as a wholesale and retail florists shop.2 The Lutey Floral building was located on Shelden Avenue between Quincy and Pewabic streets.3 According […]

Continue Reading →

Foley Building and Murphy Building

foleymurphy

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Shand & Eastman Alternative Name: Bergdahl and Briggs Buildings Location: 406-08-10 and 412-14-16 Shelden Avenue, Houghton Built: 1902-031 Drawings in the Michigan Tech Archives identify the Foley Building (408 Shelden) as being designed by Shand & Eastman; because the building next door is identical, it can be assumed that Shand & Eastman designed that one too. The client for the Foley Building was […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank Building Addition

firstnationalbankadd

by Katie Torrey Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Location: 101-103 Quincy St., Hancock Addition: 1903 The architect for the original building was Byron H. Pierce. This building was enlarged in 1903, when Pearce designed a third floor for the building and an additional 40 feet on the north side of the building. In 1903 it was considered one of the finest buildings in the city of Hancock. This building also housed other […]

Continue Reading →

Leopold Building

leopoldbuildinglate2

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Location: Shelden Avenue & Huron Street, Houghton Built: 1903 Contractor: Paul Mueller, Chicago; local superintendent, Herman Gundlach The Leopold Building was developed for Nathan Leopold, one of the founders of the South Range State Bank. The newspaper described the building: “The building ranks with the finest business blocks in Houghton or the copper country.” It was occupied by a department store on the Shelden […]

Continue Reading →

South Range Bank

southrangebank

by Jeremy Rickli Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer Alternative Name: Copper Range Historical Museum Location: Champion & Trimountain Streets, South Range Built: 1903 The South Range Bank was founded by a group of men that included Nathan Leopold and Allan Rees, both of whom employed Ottenheimer to design other buildings in the U.P.1 Since 1993, the building has been home to the Copper Range Historical Museum. The bank was designed in the Classical […]

Continue Reading →

Walz Block

walzblock

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: 416-18 Pine Street, Calumet Built: 1902 Demolished: ca. 1959 Maggie Walz, a Finnish immigrant, was a businesswoman and real estate developer who commissioned this building for herself. Initially a drug store and a candy store occupied the commercial spaces; Walz had her offices in the building and lived upstairs. She owned the building until her death in 1927. Subsequent […]

Continue Reading →

Hall Building

by Katie Torrey Associate Architect: Charles Archibald Pearce Alternative Name: Citizens’ National Bank Location: 320 Shelden Ave, Houghton Built: 1902 Contractor: Herman Gundlach Pearce was listed as an associate on this building; Charlton & Gilbert were the architects of record. See main entry for this building Buildings by Charles Archibald Pearce in the Copper Country

Continue Reading →