Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: business

Quincy Mining Company Office Building


by Josh Makela Architect: Robert Correa Walsh Location: US-41, Hancock Built: 1895-1897 Quincy Mining Company began construction of its office building in late 1895 and completed it in 1897.1 The building served as the main office of the Quincy Mining Company in Michigan; the company was headquartered in New York. Company Treasurer William R. Todd lived in Morristown and recommended his neighbor, Robert C. Walsh, as the architect.2 There is no evidence […]

Continue Reading →

Kroll Block


by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 606 Shelden St., Houghton Built: 1897 Contractors: Wilson and Sampson Although this building bears the date “1897” on its front, Eckert dates it to 1899-1900 and credits it to Charlton, Gilbert & Demar.1 The two-story building has had its cornice removed and its first floor altered, but the second floor exhibits three graceful round-arched windows […]

Continue Reading →

Seth D. North & Son Store


by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Demar & Lovejoy Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock Built: 1894-95 Contractor: E. E. Grip & Co. Demolished This building was a two-story store constructed of variegated Jacobsville sandstone. Paired plate-glass windows flanked the round-arched center entrance. Round-arched windows illuminated the second floor. The building had no cornice. Quincy Mining Company built a store and operated it in 1863-64, but lost […]

Continue Reading →

J. Vivian, Jr. & Co. Building


by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Gilbert Location: 342 Hecla St., Laurium Built: 1894 Masonry: Paul Rohem Carpentry: Edward Ulseth Johnson Vivian, a Cornish mining captain with diverse commercial interests, brought his son, Johnson Vivian, Jr., into the mercantile business when he established a store in Osceola in 1886. In 1894 they established a branch in Laurium. The store was immediately successful and spurred […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank of Houghton


by Ryan Rosinski. Architect: John Scott & Co. Alternative Names: Houghton National Bank, Wells Fargo Bank Location: 600 Shelden Ave., Houghton Built: 1889 Contractor: Wehlman & Gipp This three-story building was built in 1889 with the primary purpose of providing a first-class bank to the people of Houghton and the surrounding areas. The First National Bank of Houghton was founded in 1865 to serve the Houghton area. As the bank […]

Continue Reading →

Union Building


by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: Fifth St. and Red Jacket Rd., Calumet Built: 1888 The Union Building Association commissioned this building to accommodate the Free & Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as more than twenty other fraternal groups. The Association leased the land from Calumet & Hecla and rented the storefronts to commercial enterprises, such as the Merchant’s and Miner’s […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank Building


by Brandon M. Herman. Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 101-103 Qunicy St., Hancock Built: 1888 Addition to top and north: 1903, Charles Archibald Pearce This building was constructed in 1888 under the supervision of Pierce, who designed a two-story structure which was expanded in 1903 according to designs by Charles Archibald Pearce to provide a third floor. It was located on the main street in Hancock, and many companies held office space […]

Continue Reading →

Calumet & Hecla General Office Building


by Adam Gaugh. Architect: Shaw & Hunnewell Location: 25970 Red Jacket Road, Calumet Built: 1887 Addition on north: 1900 Addition on east: 1909, Charlton & Kuenzli Fronting Red Jacket Road at the intersection of Calumet Ave., the two-and-one-half story C&H General Office Building was built by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company, the largest U.S. producer of copper during the 1870s. Company operations were directed from this building, which also […]

Continue Reading →

First National Bank


by Bradley Plummer. Architect: John B. Sweatt Location: 5th street, Calumet Built: 1886 Demolished The First National Bank of Calumet was designed and built by J. B. Sweatt in 1886. The two-story, six-bay building originally measured 34’ x 57’. The front façade was of variegated sandstone, which was obtained from Portage Entry quarries and was laid in broken ashlar with a rock face, and the side walls were brick.1 The first-floor […]

Continue Reading →

Northwestern Hotel


by Brandon M. Herman Architect: Byron H. Pierce Location: 211-213 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1886 Demolished: 1995 The Northwestern Hotel, the first high-class hotel in Hancock, had 50 rooms with electric lighting and bathrooms with hot and cold water. The hotel was four stories tall, the tallest building in Hancock. The brick building had sandstone trim and a large pressed metal cornice. The façade was seven bays wide with balconies […]

Continue Reading →