by Jeremy Rickli
Architect: Henry Leopold Ottenheimer
Location: 918 College Avenue, Houghton
Allen Rees, a prominent lawyer, employed Ottenheimer to design his asymmetrical Classical Revival-style house. The two-and-a-half-story house has two-story Ionic columns and a squat two-story corner tower. The broad hip roof extends to cover the portico. Round-arched dormer windows punctuate the roofline. The frame house, covered with clapboards, sits above a Jacobsville sandstone foundation.
The house stayed in the Rees family for 62 years, until it was purchased by Larry and Rosemary Remington. The third owners were John and Helen Sullivan who operated a bed and breakfast inn here, before selling the building to Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity in 2005.
Buildings by Henry Leopold Ottenheimer in the Copper Country
- Harris House 1909
- Leopold Building 1903
- South Range Bank 1903
- Allen Rees House 1900
- Shelden-Dee Block 1900
- Douglass House 1900
- James R. Dee Block 1899